News AMD's Ryzen 9 5900 Blurs The Line Between Performance And Value

hannibal

Distinguished
Sound like normal difference between high power usage and low power usage amd cpus, like 3700x and 3800x where real speed is quite same in spite of power usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rdslw

ginthegit

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 15, 2012
I would take that if I could over 5900X, as I personally like to compromise over unprecedented power, and this is propably the best performer in the lower power bracket.

Totally agree with you, but we live in a world where some just want to Press every CPU to the limit or just have the best for Bragging rights.

My newest computer is a 7 year old laptop, and I have not had much reason to upgrade. However, newer games don't play very well on it. But I don't play games much now anyways. The golden age of non-same type and style games is past, and the new ones grow boring fast.

I make my machines last, but I will eventually get a new one, probably a ryzen when the price comes down.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I wouldn't buy a Ryzen CPU right now unless i was locked into the AM4 motherboard. They are unavailable, overpriced and the am4 motherboards are over priced as well. The i9-10850k is under 400 dollars and available everywhere for msrp and the motherboards for it are cheap plus it has integrated video since you cant buy a video card worth the money. AMD and Nvidia need to be taught a lesson. They are literally screwing us right now.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...VQoJbCh1fRAGdEAQYASABEgJEKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162011?quicklink=true

or

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144397

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I personally have a ryzen 3600 but would probably do a 5900x due to having the motherboard, and ram in place to move up someday. I dont feel 2 cores and some IPC are worth $450 for a 5800x but 4 cores and some ipc might be worth $550. this part would be probably $500 assuming its not $1200 or unavailable like the rest of the chips.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Nvidia made more video cards in 2015 than 2020. they have reduced production and raised prices for 5 years and created the artificial scarcity. but amd was worse there are countries in asia that are only getting 20 cards a week.

Apr 9, 2021
RAM latency is inversely proportional to RAM speed. Lower memory latency is the result of slower, cheaper RAM. So the one 5900 had cheaper, slow transfer rate, slower memory clock and lower latency RAM as would be expected in an OEM.

Sound like normal difference between high power usage and low power usage amd cpus, like 3700x and 3800x where real speed is quite show in spite of power usage.
No, at least from what's shown in the limited (currently 2) benchmark runs for the 5900, heavily-multithreaded performance appears to suffer quite a bit. The article was just looking at the wrong number for multithreaded performance.

As for multi-threaded performance, the Ryzen 9 5900X seemingly outperformed the Ryzen 9 5900 by a margin of 7%.
It's only a (now 8%) difference if you compare the 8-thread performance number, where only a portion of the CPU is being utilized and it's not running into power limits much. Userbenchmark goes out of its way to try to the hide performance advantages of higher core-count processors, though you can find that data if you scroll down to the 64-thread results in another section toward the bottom. They currently show the 5900X as performing 26% faster than the 5900 when all threads are loaded, which is right about in line with its 23% higher base clock. That's a fairly significant difference for the kinds of applications one would typically get a 12-core processor for.

The golden age of non-same type and style games is past, and the new ones grow boring fast.
I would say there's still a decent variety of new game types coming out. For example, just in the last few years, we've seen the emergence of battle royale games, with a variety of different takes on the formula being experimented with. And the VR format changes gaming experiences quite a bit, even if it hasn't quite become mainstream yet. A lot of interesting things have been getting done in lower-budget titles from smaller developers over the last decade or so as well. Certainly, some big game series fall into a habit of rehashing the same formula over and over, but there's still of good amount of new concepts coming out as well.

Makaveli

Splendid
I wouldn't buy a Ryzen CPU right now unless i was locked into the AM4 motherboard. They are unavailable, overpriced and the am4 motherboards are over priced as well. The i9-10850k is under 400 dollars and available everywhere for msrp and the motherboards for it are cheap plus it has integrated video since you cant buy a video card worth the money. AMD and Nvidia need to be taught a lesson. They are literally screwing us right now.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...VQoJbCh1fRAGdEAQYASABEgJEKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162011?quicklink=true

or

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144397

And what does this have anything to do about this story about an OEM only 5900?

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
I wouldn't buy a Ryzen CPU right now unless i was locked into the AM4 motherboard
i know quite a few people who are looking to upgrade, and, they are waiting for the ryzen 5000 they are looking at to be instock, and will get it when they can, NONE of them want intel at all this time around. i mentioned to a couple of them about the rocket lake reviews, and they pretty much said either, who cares, and why would i want to read that for ?

plus it has integrated video since you cant buy a video card worth the money.
and if you intend to play games on this cpu, then what ? the IGP probably wont handle games that are more then a few years old very well, and IF you already have a vidcard from a previous/current system, this is thought pointless.

AMD and Nvidia need to be taught a lesson. They are literally screwing us right now.
how is this ANY different then what intel was doing before Zen was released ?? complaining about what amd and nvidia are charging, but i bet you had NO issues with paying intel its prices for their cpus,

but amd was worse there are countries in asia that are only getting 20 cards a week.
cant really put all the blame on AMD for that considering they are at the mercy of what TSMC is able to actually make.

i have a 3900x, and i have been thinking of grabbing a 5900x myself, and i have had this cpu for about a year :)

i have a 3900x, and i have been thinking of grabbing a 5900x myself, and i have had this cpu for about a year
I hear you. I had 3700X before and I was very happy with it.. but itch was too big :) -I "justified" my decision by going from 8 to 12 cores. But if I had 3900X, I probably wouldn't jump, because real life performance increase isn't really big.

Back to 5900 vs 5900X topic... If 5900 would be available on consumer market, then all depends on price difference. Let's say price would be in the middle between 5800X and 5900X.
Those who "need" 12 cores, they wish to have them unleashed and so, most would probably be ready to pay the difference for 5900X.
On the other hand, many of those who decide about 5800X ("8 cores is enough"), would probably start thinking about 5900 -because 5800X is quite pricey already.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Last year, there was a downloadable driver/firmware update that allowed to reduce TDP from 105W to 65W in the 3700x/3900x CPUs, making them virtually identical to their 'non-x' counterparts.
And the best thing about this: whenever the need, one can still deactivate this software-based TDP downshift and immediately get back to the full power of the CPU.
So, I wouldn't mind the 5900 being available to OEMs only, as everyone can run their 5900x in 65W mode whenever they wish.
The only thing that may actually speak for a 5900 would be a lower price... but, alas...

ginthegit

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 15, 2012
Nvidia made more video cards in 2015 than 2020. they have reduced production and raised prices for 5 years and created the artificial scarcity. but amd was worse there are countries in asia that are only getting 20 cards a week.

This is true for all companies owned by the ultra rich crooks. And it is true for all products, including rare earth materials, gold, diamonds et al.

ginthegit

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 15, 2012
I would say there's still a decent variety of new game types coming out. For example, just in the last few years, we've seen the emergence of battle royale games, with a variety of different takes on the formula being experimented with. And the VR format changes gaming experiences quite a bit, even if it hasn't quite become mainstream yet. A lot of interesting things have been getting done in lower-budget titles from smaller developers over the last decade or so as well. Certainly, some big game series fall into a habit of rehashing the same formula over and over, but there's still of good amount of new concepts coming out as well.

Still all boring. Battle royal style have been out for ages in one form or another. I yearn for the old days of well designed narratives and new concepts. It is all about rehashing now. Mech warrior did giant bots, quake and UT did Death match FPS is done to death. I played a few recentish games 4-5 years old, and it was fun for a while, but it got boring fast. Still the same repetition rather than have extended play concepts. I loved games like X3, where massive trades could be done, but in the end, the enemy fights the same and people just use the same tactics over and over again.
Games now focusing on Graphics too much now. WG tried a rehash of Master of Orion, but failed to make their game good like the old MOO2. Their World of Tanks was fun for a while, but the emergence of too many Noobies made the game get old fast and rather than the old epic battles, its now turned to a he who has the bigest noobs most often looses.
Multiplayer used to be down to Decent players, but now the Kiddies are playing everything when playig team games, the games get more stale more quickly. The refusal of WG and other game makers to base team games on ability rather than just random matches, ruins the experience too.
Then you have so many players that just play casual, while others try a more serious approach.
New concepts are just cosmetic, Ive been playing games on PC since 1997 and am not impressed with the current line of crap. Crysis for example uses concepts from deus ex (original) etc. So for me, your point of new titles being original, is not something i see at all. It is just ideas stolen and rehashed.