News AMD's Ryzen and EPYC Sales Punish Intel, Posts Record Revenue in Q3 Earnings

artk2219

Distinguished
"Intel's official line is that the company isn't seeing any more competition than it expected. "

Translation: "We expected to be beaten senseless."

Atleast they were realistic about it versus being "surprised" honestly they pulled an Intel and sat on their hands while they were on top and were reaping the profits. Now that theres competition, that stagnation is catching up with them. They'll be fine in the long run because i mean, they are Intel, but a lesson in humility and honestly a reorg is definitely needed. Meanwhile AMD is having their Sandy Bridge moment, Intel will take a bit to catch up, and people that bought into Ryzen 3 will probably have a chip that theyll hang onto for the next 5 to 7 years. That is unless these 19% uplifts are now the new normal, in which case, awesome, totally a welcome change.

Wasn't somebody on here just yesterday saying "AMD doesn't make any money"
AMD made 390 million net income in this quarter compared to 4.3 billion that intel made.
In other words AMD's best quarter of recent years is 10% of one of intel's lowest quarters in recent years.
It's great that AMD is starting to make more money but calling intel making 4.3 billions "punish" is a huge stretch.

AMD made 390 million net income in this quarter compared to 4.3 billion that intel made.
In other words AMD's best quarter of recent years is 10% of one of intel's lowest quarters in recent years.
It's great that AMD is starting to make more money but calling intel making 4.3 billions "punish" is a huge stretch.

I will agree here. But the YoY growth and Ryzen 5000 is going to start dealing punishing blows in next quarters. AMD has pretty much eliminated their debt.

As Intel doesn't have anything to meet AMD with over the next 2 years, and net losses on the horizon, They will be close to parity by 2022. At least according to my numbers. Intel will have to start shedding more businesses for one time GAAP gains to hold up.

The limit is if the 5nm and 7nm foundry supply and if it can keep up.

I will agree here. But the YoY growth and Ryzen 5000 is going to start dealing punishing blows in next quarters. AMD has pretty much eliminated their debt.
Considering that TSMCs whole revenue, and they are booked out solidly according to popular believe, is roughly half that of intel and AMD only gets a (small? )part of that, I highly doubt that it will be punishing blows.
TSMC makes half the rev/net income of intel and that will likely not change.
AMD is very likely to keep growing but that will not affect intel.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TSM/taiwan-semiconductor-manufacturing/revenue

Considering that TSMCs whole revenue, and they are booked out solidly according to popular believe, is roughly half that of intel and AMD only gets a (small? )part of that, I highly doubt that it will be punishing blows.
TSMC makes half the rev/net income of intel and that will likely not change.
AMD is very likely to keep growing but that will not affect intel.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TSM/taiwan-semiconductor-manufacturing/revenue

Anytime you lose double digit market revenue %, and your rival gains double digit revenue %, that's punishing.
Intel are on track to lose double digit revenue and AMD gain double digit revenue. You can't tell me that's not punishing. Over time that quickly eats your profitability. And Intel is fat around the gut with operating cost.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Terrific numbers from AMD and a hearty congratulations. That said, the next two quarters are benefitting greatly from the imminent launch of the two new consoles. Once the big rush is over, AMD will quickly go back to the pennies per console profits. Good money and helps increase revenue but does not help AMD break the 45% gross margin ceiling it seems to be bumping up against.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
As Intel doesn't have anything to meet AMD with over the next 2 years

According to CC, Intel already sampling Alder Lake-S. They are already shipping the DG1 Xe GPU, and SG1 is in production, Xe-HPG and Xe-HP in the lab. Sapphire Rapids Server is sampling. Ice Lake Server in qualifications and ramping in volume in q1. Tiger Lake-H and Rocket Lake-S in q1.

Optane, avx512, dlboost, Thunderbolt 4, Wifi6 integrated features are yet to be developed by AMD. Intel also includes PCIE4 and lpddr5 support on Tiger Lake, which AMD has not matched on their laptop chips yet.

On Alder Lake, Intel brings in two new cores ... Gracemont and Golden Cove. The Gracemont matches AMD's avx2 simd in a low power and very compact Atom chip.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Anytime you lose double digit market revenue %, and your rival gains double digit revenue %, that's punishing.
Intel are on track to lose double digit revenue and AMD gain double digit revenue. You can't tell me that's not punishing. Over time that quickly eats your profitability. And Intel is fat around the gut with operating cost.

Good post! Absolutely. Intel is getting clobbered on the desktop and the desktop ASPs--all down considerably. It makes no sense at all to think the pandemic slowed down Intel even while AMD's pandemic business shot through the roof. No sense at all. Even looking at Intel's notebook share, that's dropping as well along with laptop CPU ASPs. And AMD is only now getting warmed up! Hasn't hit its stride yet, by any means. AMD income is set to at the very least double with buying Xilinx--a fantastic deal all around for both companies, imo. Depending on the products the combined companies produce--their combined incomes may triple what they were doing separately--or even quadruple it, as opposed to merely adding what each company is doing now together, etc.

People are weird when it comes to Intel--they talk about the money Intel is making when they should be looking at all the dough AMD is raking in--that's all money a part of which at least (if not all) would belong to Intel--except for AMD. AMD is getting it; Intel isn't. People get bullheaded about Intel--I don't understand it, either. In the final analysis, whether it's Intel or it's AMD, he who makes the best products wins. He who makes the best products long term wins long term. The world will, most assuredly, beat a path to your door if you offer a better mousetrap. I don't know of a time in the history of either company when that wasn't true. Intel was able to leverage market dominance at the turn of the century to be able to actually pay companies like Dell specific and large sums simply not to sell AMD. I've seen figures wherein Intel's direct subsidies paid to Dell actually kept Dell solvent for a couple of quarters in those days! Thankfully, none of that applies today!

AMD has no intention of slowing down product development--so Intel isn't going to get a couple of years of AMD remaining stagnant in order to catch up and pass AMD, as happened after the Athlon and the A64/Opteron. That's not in the cards. It might even be that Intel will decide to get out of the high-performance CPU business, sell off some FABs, and concentrate on some different aspects of the chip and PCB business than what the company has traditionally involved itself with. The Intel execs have commented about that very thing several times, already, in just the last year--ever since they have so clearly dropped behind AMD technically and publicly. That's likely just an apology, though, to their stockholders--for getting thrashed so publicly for the last year. Mind share directly correlates to market share, and AMD is all over Intel in the category. Really, Zen 2 as of just 16 months ago was the first time that AMD had moved out indisputably ahead of Intel in multi-core performance ( Zen1/+ were nice products, no question), but Zen 2 was where the AMD jewels really began to shine, imo. Multi-core performance, of course, is the new paradigm through which CPU performance will be. and shall be judged from now on. Now comes Zen 3 in a few days, and AMD is jumping even further ahead. Zen 4, Papermaster says, is already in design! AMD at present is a production and execution dynamo that Intel cannot match--ergo, AMD's stock shot up and away from Intel's, for the first time (and surely not the last...;))

The really, really big difference between AMD and Intel, as I see it,--a huge difference, is that as a company, AMD, since its inception, has always of necessity been a highly competitive company. The company is honed to a razor's edge to compete--it's a lean, mean, engineering machine, as I see it. For AMD the "compete or die" metric has always been a fact of life. OTOH, Intel has never in its existence had to compete with another company or else...or else face a quick annihilation if it couldn't come out on top in a reasonable amount of time. Intel simply doesn't really know how to exist in an environment in which neck-in-neck competition is the daily norm. The two companies could not be more different in that regard. I expect it may well be that Intel will compete with AMD for several years into the future before it will best AMD again in the x86 CPU performance arena. Then again, there may be nothing so rosy as that in store for Intel as time goes on. Much is happening right now right before our eyes in the CPU technology industry.

--Well, look at this! Sorry I got wound up here...;) I've only gone about three paragraphs more than I intended!

Terrific numbers from AMD and a hearty congratulations. That said, the next two quarters are benefitting greatly from the imminent launch of the two new consoles. Once the big rush is over, AMD will quickly go back to the pennies per console profits. Good money and helps increase revenue but does not help AMD break the 45% gross margin ceiling it seems to be bumping up against.

Consoles has never been a huge part of net income. It was more of a "Keep the lights on" income.
According to CC, Intel already sampling Alder Lake-S. They are already shipping the DG1 Xe GPU, and SG1 is in production, Xe-HPG and Xe-HP in the lab. Sapphire Rapids Server is sampling. Ice Lake Server in qualifications and ramping in volume in q1. Tiger Lake-H and Rocket Lake-S in q1.

Optane, avx512, dlboost, Thunderbolt 4, Wifi6 integrated features are yet to be developed by AMD. Intel also includes PCIE4 and lpddr5 support on Tiger Lake, which AMD has not matched on their laptop chips yet.

On Alder Lake, Intel brings in two new cores ... Gracemont and Golden Cove. The Gracemont matches AMD's avx2 simd in a low power and very compact Atom chip.

Do you have proof any of these are competitive? Their 10nm doesnt scale well at high speeds even with superfin. And 10nm capacity is limited. 7nm is delayed.

Xe is showing to be painfully slow. That was to be expected.

Optane has near zero uptake
Avx512 isnt universally supported.
Wifi6 is available on a number of am4 boards.

Rocket Lake might be interesting. But you'll need at least 4 big cores for gaming. Six is preferable.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I agree that punish may be too strong a word. But there is no doubt Intel is starting to feel the heat from competition. In fact, I will not be surprise that the downward trend continues as AMD and ARM are chipping at their market share. At this point, Intel may have a lot of products in the pipeline, but so far none sounded like its enough to reverse this position that Intel dug themselves.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Consoles has never been a huge part of net income. It was more of a "Keep the lights on" income.

Do you have proof any of these are competitive? Their 10nm doesnt scale well at high speeds even with superfin. And 10nm capacity is limited. 7nm is delayed.

Xe is showing to be painfully slow. That was to be expected.

Optane has near zero uptake
Avx512 isnt universally supported.
Wifi6 is available on a number of am4 boards.

Rocket Lake might be interesting. But you'll need at least 4 big cores for gaming. Six is preferable.
Rocket Lake will help them improve on single core performance, but I am still waiting for Zen 3 reviews to confirm if they are making good progress in terms of gaming. Outside of gaming, I think Rocket Lake may fall behind Zen 3 processors since Comet Lake was already lacking behind in most cases outside of gaming.

People are weird when it comes to Intel--they talk about the money Intel is making when they should be looking at all the dough AMD is raking in--that's all money a part of which at least (if not all) would belong to Intel--except for AMD. AMD is getting it; Intel isn't. People get bullheaded about Intel--I don't understand it, either. In the final analysis, whether it's Intel or it's AMD, he who makes the best products wins.
What all the dough AMD is raking in do you mean?
Since ZEN came out AMD increased revenue by 2bil intel did not decrease by 2bil they increased by more than 10 bil
AMD increased their net income by 3-400 mil intel didn't decrease they increased it by more than 10bil, even if this year would stop right now for intel it would still be a 5bil increase from before ZEN and even if AMD had another good quarter and made 1bil yearly it would still be 1bil to 15bil.
AMD's increased earnings don't subtract from intel, in fact intel made more money from zen existing than what amd made,by far.

Numbers from www.macrotrends.net

AMD Annual Revenue Intel Annual Revenue
(Millions of US $)
2019 $6,731 2019 $71,965
2018 $6,475 2018 $70,848
2017 $5,253 2017 $62,761
2016 $4,319 2016 $59,387
AMD Annual Net Income Intel Annual Net Income
(Millions of US $)
2019 $341 2019 $21,048
2018 $337 2018 $21,053
2017 $-33 2017 $9,601
2016 $-498 2016 $10,316

The biggest surprise about this is that it took so long to happen. AMD should have saved the "Piledriver" name for Ryzen 2 because that's exactly what it's doing to Intel.

Intel offers 26 cores at 2.1GHz for almost $13,000:
19-117-903-V01.jpg

Intel Xeon 8170 26-Core 2.1GHz (165W): $12,863
AMD offers 64 cores at 2.25GHz (better IPC too) for UNDER $5,000:
19-113-581-V01.jpg

AMD EPYC 7742 64-Core 2.25GHz (225W): $4,690

That's not competition, that's absolute domination. I know that Intel has great after-purchase support but I can't imagine that AMD's is exactly terrible considering that SAMSUNG and MICROSOFT are using EPYC servers.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
come on Avro, you know the only metric Terry cares about is the fact that intel makes more money then amd, and thats all he seems to point out to people, and your post, clearly shows why. 13k vs 5k, no wonder intel makes so much, cause they seems to charge more for LESS.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can only compare the areas of the companies involved in which they directly compete. If Intel is selling diapers, that portion of Intel's revenue is irrelevant to the conversation.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So you think consoles, that only launch about every 4 years, only have a relevant sales cycle of two quarters?

Really?

Newsflash, AMD is playing the long game, a game you don't understand. Having their processors and GPU's inside of both of the major players consoles insures that games will be developed that benefit AMD's architecture from both a CPU and GPU standpoint. Not to mention that just because AMD operated on slim margins in the past in regards to consoles, does not mean the margins have not increased this time.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What all the dough AMD is raking in do you mean?
Since ZEN came out AMD increased revenue by 2bil intel did not decrease by 2bil they increased by more than 10 bil
AMD increased their net income by 3-400 mil intel didn't decrease they increased it by more than 10bil, even if this year would stop right now for intel it would still be a 5bil increase from before ZEN and even if AMD had another good quarter and made 1bil yearly it would still be 1bil to 15bil.
AMD's increased earnings don't subtract from intel, in fact intel made more money from zen existing than what amd made,by far.

Numbers from www.macrotrends.net

AMD Annual Revenue Intel Annual Revenue
(Millions of US $)
2019 $6,731 2019 $71,965
2018 $6,475 2018 $70,848
2017 $5,253 2017 $62,761
2016 $4,319 2016 $59,387
AMD Annual Net Income Intel Annual Net Income
(Millions of US $)
2019 $341 2019 $21,048
2018 $337 2018 $21,053
2017 $-33 2017 $9,601
2016 $-498 2016 $10,316

Might want to check Intel's stock performance their spanky, explain that to their investors, I am sure once you do they will happily accept the loss's they have taken.

You can only compare the areas of the companies involved in which they directly compete. If Intel is selling diapers, that portion of Intel's revenue is irrelevant to the conversation.
AMD sells death-trap mountain bikes and GPUs.
The point is that whatever AMD does it doesn't affect intel's bottom line.
Might want to check Intel's stock performance their spanky, explain that to their investors, I am sure once you do they will happily accept the loss's they have taken.
Intel's stock performance is fine and on the newest low point it's about 50% higher than it was pre ZEN. $30 in the beginning of 2016, $44 now.

AMD's stock is a gamblers bubble right now,AMD has nowhere near enough substance,revenue or income or anything else to justify that stock price.
The only reason AMDs stock price is that high is that gamblers gamble on there being other more gambly gamblers out there that will pay even more on the stocks than what they did.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD sells death-trap mountain bikes and GPUs.

Intel's stock performance is fine and on the newest low point it's about 50% higher than it was pre ZEN. $30 in the beginning of 2016, $44 now.

AMD's stock is a gamblers bubble right now,AMD has nowhere near enough substance,revenue or income or anything else to justify that stock price.
The only reason AMDs stock price is that high is that gamblers gamble on there being other more gambly gamblers out there that will pay even more on the stocks than what they did.
Which is why Goldman-Sachs just upgraded their target price and lists them as a buy. another epic fail on your part.

"The point is that whatever AMD does it doesn't affect intel's bottom line."

LMAO
I will get a crayon and draw you a picture so you can better understand.

Did you even look at Intel's 3rd quarter earnings report?

Newsflash!! For every CPU that AMD sells, it is a CPU that Intel didn't sell. It's not rocket science. A lost sale is loss revenue, so it most certainly effects Intel's bottom line. Just because Intel is still profitable doesn't change that.

Now I suggest you go back and study debate 101.