AMD's Ryzen Receives New Power Plan, Game Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
AMD not being satisfied with resting on their laurels is great news for the consumer. The initial launch was brilliant with a few caveats. This continuing tuning to address those "caveats" is quite promising.

artk2219

Distinguished
I would be curious to see a launch vs now article within 6 months, to see how the state of the AM4 platform has changed by then. It seems like it will be interesting for sure. Also a generational round up like Toms did back in 2013 would be awesome.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

I second this motion. All in favor, say "aye."

artk2219

Distinguished

Lol aye, I just found the articles I was referring to. These were great for pointing to the strengths and weaknesses of several chips, but im sure it took forever to actually compile the results and write.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/piledriver-k10-cpu-overclocking,3584.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-frame-rate-performance,3427-9.html

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
I use Linux. Are there any Linux based AMD studies? What do I do with Linux? Coding, some games, Viewing videos.
If you do the comparison, setup a 1700 non-gamer's system and compare that system to an equivalent Intel system.
I am interested in a cost comparison. Do I remain an Intel user, or do I switch?

And then, for speculation, what is Intel planning as a competitive offering?

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

Level1Techs has some Ryzen CPU and motherboard videos with a Linux perspective.

Long story short, they recommend Ryzen for Linux for productivity/coding use, except currently (and with current motherbord BIOSes) there is some trouble getting IOMMU/PCIe passthru working in case you want dedicated graphics cards for virtual machines (both GPUs are currently assigned to the same IOMMU group). AMD and motherboard vendors should be looking into it, though.

artk2219

Distinguished

Phoronix should have some interesting reviews for you on their site. Check it out and it'll help you make those other decisions.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-cores&num=1

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
"Ryzen excels at workstation applications, but its curious gaming performance trends have dominated the conversation."

yeah ... curious gaming performance indeed ...

unnoticeable in fact in 100% of real life scenarios, because the difference between 150 and 125 fps is just irrelevant.

also have you checked your data lately? the web is full of rather massive increases (still in totally irrelevant as 100fps plus) performance with the latest batch of bios upgrades by everyone but tomshardware. you may want to do some work and get up to date with actual facts now and again.

aren't you getting tired of that totally constructed topic by now?

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Dusty13.

Since we can't get our hands on the new hardware as yet, whatever we obtain from Tom's hardware is of interest. Every week, there are new readers to Tom's, while some bored readers drop off.

I choose to read the topics of interest, and skip the rest. I also do have financial priorities, and spending 2 thousand on a gaming system is not one of them. Tom's hardware does not have infinitely deep pockets. The benchmarks done before write-up of the experience is not trivial, but many days of work. While I do not reside in the USA, I can't take advantage of the advertisers promoted herein. I have to rely on local suppliers. So yes, Toms postings are relevant to me, a system application developer.

Davil

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Finally they can challenge Intel again. I always like the competition and hopefully this will make Intel come up with something better or at least start using better TIM on all their IHS's.

Ross_30

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Total War: Warhammer is one of my favourite PC installments right now. Glad they have made this compatible with the game. Should be an amazing experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.