News AMD's 'Sinclose' vulnerability affects hundreds of millions of processors, enables data theft — AMD begins patching issue in critical chip lines, m...

Marlin1975

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"To exploit this flaw, attackers must first gain access to a system's kernel, which isn't easy, but it is possible. However, the system must already have been compromised by some other attack. "

So in other words, a nothing burger.

Reactions: mhmarefat

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
They suggest that advanced state-sponsored hackers likely already have the tools to exploit these kinds of vulnerabilities.
How about the states themselves? Some states do not even need to sponsor any hackers as they already have implemented backdoors inside ALL AMD and Intel CPUs since 2006. Intel Management Engine and AMD Secure Technology are both backdoors in complete NSA control (see here). And BTW, these operate completely independent of the OS and all they require is an internet connection. (See for example NotebookCheck, me_cleaner, even US controlled wikipedia)

As Intel has confirmed[84] the ME contains a switch to enable government authorities such as the NSA to make the ME go into High-Assurance Platform (HAP) mode after boot. This mode disables most of ME's functions,[76][85] and was intended to be available only in machines produced for specific purchasers like the US government

So spare me this BS fearmongering. Suddenly ppl are worried about data theft.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Yes, hackers can do bad things after they already have complete control of your computer.
Persistent rootkits (as this enables) are far more insidious. Format the drive, reinstall the OS, even swap to a brand new drive? the malware install persists. Pop the CPU out of an infected system and install it in a new system? The new system is infected.
A single threat actor adding a rootkit to CPUs before reselling on eBay (or any other supply chain vulnerable to 3rd party insertion, such as Amazon fulfilment) could gain root access to as many boxes as they can ship CPUs, with no trivial way for end users to identify the infection, let alone remove it.

Management-engine persistent malware is particularly nasty to deal with.

Plus, AMD have decided to straight up NO FIX PLANNED the Ryzen 3000 series, so if you own one then no fix for you.

Mar 10, 2020
“Plus, AMD have decided to straight up NO FIX PLANNED the Ryzen 3000 series, so if you own one then no fix for you.”

Not a justification, the 3000 series chips are 5 years old, 2 full generations. Chips to replace them from the 5000 series are inexpensive.
My guess is that AMD reckon that there aren’t enough 3000 series chips in use now and it’s a potential way to sell some more 5000 parts.

Last edited:

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Good reminder on vulnerabilities we face in general. Nothing is safe, particularly among state sponsored threats which could give a darn about the actual user information but can use a network attached workstation to terrible effect. Thanks for the reporting.

bluvg

Commendable
Jan 15, 2022
AMD likens the Sinkhole technique to gaining access to a bank's safe deposit boxes after already getting past its alarms, guards, and vault door.
No, it's worse than that. It's like getting past all those things and allowing the installation of a secret door to the vault so that even if the bank kicks the thief out of the building, gets more guards, and upgrades the alarms, the thief can let themselves right back in directly to the vault, past the guards, without triggering any of the alarms.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Persistent rootkits (as this enables) are far more insidious. Format the drive, reinstall the OS, even swap to a brand new drive? the malware install persists. Pop the CPU out of an infected system and install it in a new system? The new system is infected.
A single threat actor adding a rootkit to CPUs before reselling on eBay (or any other supply chain vulnerable to 3rd party insertion, such as Amazon fulfilment) could gain root access to as many boxes as they can ship CPUs, with no trivial way for end users to identify the infection, let alone remove it.

Management-engine persistent malware is particularly nasty to deal with.

Plus, AMD have decided to straight up NO FIX PLANNED the Ryzen 3000 series, so if you own one then no fix for you.
I was thinking the same thing about inexpensive no name pcs from places like AliExpress. And maybe Lenovo.