AMD's Slides Showing That It's Faster Than Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't think its misinformation. AMD's strength is price and platform. If they are comparing an AMD $500 model verse an Intel $500 it plays to AMDs strength since their IGP and processor are much more effecient and stronger performers. Also AMD has access to a greater video card selection then Intel has even attempted. It would exactly be fair to compare a $2000 Intel Laptop to an AMD $1200 laptop.

G

Why is everyone whining about the intel 1.2 vs the amd 1.6? The CULV platform intel supports IS a core duo 1.2. That's what they offer. Amd's offering is the 1.6. Unfair would have been Congo vs Atom.
Also, yes, hopefully the superior GPU is used and provides a boost. In case you haven't been paying attention intel does not support ion and has been fighting against ion since it's debut. Intel wants to force you into its terrible GPUs. Hopefully this will teach them something.

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
The comparison here its in price range. does not matter how AMD wins here, even if is with the help of God, it has it for the same price as intel or less. thats what matters.

jeffkro

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
What does this mean? Its all about performance per watt. I heard that Mac is upping the clock & voltage for their intel based ultra thin notebook.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]1.6Ghz AMD gaming laptop vs an 1.2Ghz Intel middle-range laptop.Just the CPU frequency mean around 10-14% more for AMD.And the video card mean probably the difference in gaming.And they don't talk about power comsumption.This comparasion mean nothing!!!More topic: AMD Q2 Loss Worse Than Expected; Stock Slumps in After-Hours Trading [CPU & Components][/citation]

And the resolution 3Dmark was tested at was 25% lower on the amd system.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I hope AMD can gain some ground so there can be some real competition in the cpu camp again.
Not that it really matters all that much to us users anymore, since the gains made by each generation of CPU technology means less and less relative to those made by each iteration of GPU architecture.

joejamesatou

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
AMD does much better graphics than Intel. That's what these marketing slides show. If only you could get AMD graphics with the rest of Intel platform, ala GeForce 9400.

People, People. This is normal marketing. Its like the AMD mid end vs the Intel extreme end that AMD posts on Youtube. They use the same clockspeeed parts but not the same price range parts.

Its called marketing trickery. Most "underdogs" tend to use this against a larger oponent to seem just as good or better while using unfair odds.

Its not a bad thing but not something I like. Much like the Apple commercials. All lies yet people still buy into it......

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... the cpu is not the main part, that's for sure... the gpu is... and in that department intel haz nothing to offer... intel depends on AMD/ATi and nVidia to do gpu solutions till larrabee is out... by the way... where is the larrabee buzz disappeared?... and fusion? ... 2oo9 is almost over... but there iz no larrabee or fusion samples...

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
this is for the fact that amd is actually le\/eraging their gpu's which is smart and i support them all the way, intel can't make a graphics processor for shit and won't get along with n\/idia OR amd long enough to let them make the intel platforms better.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]saint19[/nom]ohhh....how the writers say, if the numbers are correct, the competition now is on the mobile plataforms....lets see when tom's hardware make the test performance and compare both.[/citation]
toms is intel/n\/idia biased anyway so I would look for re\/iews elsewhere

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
It always amazes me how people claim that AMD comparing themselves to Intel based on price is deemed "mis-information"...while Intel comparing their fastest processor to AMD's is considered accurate. People looking for price/performance....are trying to get the best performance for the price range...which makes this comparison, if the numbers are real, the most accurate possible comparison. Not everyone has an unlimited budget. Some people have to sacrifice performance in the name of price and actually want to know which performs better in their specific price range. The people claiming this comparison is "mis-information" are just plain ignorant of the simple fact that most consumers buy strictly based on price.

Status
Not open for further replies.