AMD's ThreadRipper To Feature 64 PCIe Lanes; Vega Launching In July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, another Vega release delay!
With all these delays, Vega had better outperform the GTX 1080Ti at a competitive price, else I predict many AMD fans are going to seriously consider jumping over to the green team...

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
feels to me they are testing waters on Volta see what it is really like before they finalize one of the various prototypes they have for Vega. in the end how late it is to the game it better match volta at least.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Don't hold your breath on Vega being anything other than overpriced blah.
It is very late, so performance will be what USED TO BE exciting.
The memory it is packing is EXPENSIVE.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yes the memory is expensive. But if They keep margins a Little bit tainneet than Nvidia, it still can be reasonable bang for the bug. But most propably it is priced according Nvidia cards so Expect to see quite similar speed vs price in both camps.

G

Yes, this is what i am getting and not paying $999 to Intel to get 44 PCIe.

Malithyus

Prominent
May 31, 2017
I'd say we have to question whether AMD have a working Vega card at all, who holds a new graphics card from release for 6MThs. This in itself speaks volumes, does the card even work at all. AMD want back in but so far all the hype is nothing more than cheap parts that don't perform.

We will see in due time. However, 2 months delay for Vega is dissapointing. Still, it seems the new x399 platforms is a far better choice than intel due to the PCIx lines. 4 GPU with a single system for AI processing is really looking interesting.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

The AM4 socket is probably limited to total 24 lanes, so in order to expose those 8 extra lanes, they'd need to use the large Threadripper(/EPYC?) socket. This introduces the same problem that motherboard vendors have struggled with since the release of Intel's HEDT platform, namely needing to have different PCIe lane count processors working and supported on all motherboards. Also, the same problem as Kaby Lake-X has, that you could take advantage of only half of the memory slots on the motherboard.

Not saying they won't release such a chip, just saying the concept has problems.

Now what I'm really interested in is whether all Threadripper CPUs and motherboards have working and certified support for ECC (and buffered) memory. It could be a big coup for AMD if they could offer equivalent HEDT platform for better price/perf than Intel, but also include Xeon-level features.

The article has them showing off a working Vega GPU - twice.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Overall this looks really cool. I have to commend AMD on their CPU/MOBO tech that they keep rolling out. MOBO manufacturers could really go crazy with different combo's and create something like a 2 or 3 GPUx16 solution use the remaining PCIe for M.2/SSD's for a blistering fast render/server machine.

In regards to their GPU's, well I believe some day the top tiers will be out but at this point they seem mainly to use them just for proof of concepts for their other tech.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

I'm with you on this one.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I see several comments where people complain about how Vega is "delayed again", yet this is the first time AMD has unveiled a release date for Vega RX, and the release date for Vega FE still hasn't changed from when they first unveiled that. Please stop taking rumors as official announcements.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
During CES 2017, AMD officially revealed the first details about its Vega graphics processing unit (GPU) architecture. However, it wasn’t until April that we found out the first Vega cards would make their way to market in the second quarter of 2017, most likely in June, but certainly before July.

Unfortunately, questions still linger. We don’t have, for instance, an exact date on which the Vega GPUs will be released, nor do we know how much they will cost or what the spec range will consist of. After all, only one card based on the architecture has been announced and that’s the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition, designed to appeal to developers and creative professionals alike.

AMD held a livestream event on February 28, during the 2017 Game Developers Conference (GDC 2017), its second annual “Capsaicin” event. While the firm did share some more tidbits regarding its Vega GPUs, no concrete details were given regarding price, release date or power profiles

AMD Vega release date

Although we expected to find out the release date of AMD’s Vega GPUs at its Capsaicin event earlier this year, it’s still lost on us when exactly we’ll see the cards on store shelves. All we know for fact right now is that the Frontier Edition, a non-consumer release, is coming out next month in liquid- and traditional air-cooled flavors.

We can also confidently say that the more affordable, consumer-facing AMD Vega products will be available to purchase this quarter. Otherwise, it’s unclear what day – or even what week – we’re bound to see AMD’s (hopefully) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti contender start making its rounds. Then again, we’re even more out of the loop when it comes to AMD Vega pricing.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
AMD Radeon RX Vega release is around the corner and can be launched in early June. The company has limited stock which is less than 20,000 units on launch and even expected to fetch high prices compared to NVIDIA. In this scenario, could AMD successful to beat its toughest competitor NVIDIA which has a strong hold in the high-tech market?

The graphic community is eagerly waiting for the high-end processor at affordable rates. Although NVIDIA is serving their requirements, AMD RX Vega has created a new hope amongst the tech communities. The upcoming AMD graphic processor is expected to release with limited supply which is less than 20,000 units.

As per the reports coming from Tweak Town, there will be 16,000 cards or less to ship in the first month after the AMD RX Vega release. The reason stated for such limited supply is the scarcity of HBM2 which is an ideal component for manufacturing the card. HBM2 is ideal and expensive too which might raise the cost of the card.

With all the rumors of AMD RX Vega to release in early June, it will be a tough competition for AMD as NVIDIA has already captured the high-end market with its fastest and affordable chips. As per the Steam hardware Survey, currently, there are nearly 15,000 GTX 1070 graphic card users and 36,000 GTX 1080, 45,000 GTX 1080 Ti users across the US. AMD just couldn't survive the high-end market is it will launch the Vega family with just 16,000 units.

According to WccfTech, AMD's current fastest Radeon RX 580 has the potential to compete against GTX 1060 and which is available at $249. Although, GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GTX 1080Ti, NVIDIA TITAN X and TITAN XP have no direct competitors, but AMD RX Vega family can set a benchmark for the company when it comes to high-end performance and graphics.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
@YoAndy, it's really bad form (slash copyright infringement) to repost articles ad verbatim from various sites, and doing it without mentioning the source is even worse.

:sarcastic:
... GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GTX 1080Ti, NVIDIA TITAN X and TITAN XP have no direct competitors ...
gemm.png

The M18 is the Radeon Instinct 'Fiji' -- or, R9 Fury 4GB HBM.

It not only thumps the Titan X & X-P in deep learning and professional work flows, but holds its own against the GTX 1070 in gaming.

- - - sorry to burst your bubble.

For video editing, rendering, CAD workstation, high-end dev boxes, scientific workstations, and other productivity builds, ThreadRipper looks like a significantly better option than the crippled (compared to last gen) HEDT i7s and horribly overpriced i9s that Intel just announced. If you actually need more than 28 lanes of PCIe, AMD has come to your rescue.

Let's just hope they price these under $1000, preferably starting in the $300-$400 range for the CPUs. For high-end storage systems, a $350 4-core or 6-core CPU with 64 PCIe lanes would be a game-changer.

Regardless, these look like well planned, well designed products, especially next to the Kaby Lake-X models from Intel.

That would be fine. I just want the prices to drop on their 2066 and 3647 models. That's the only thing I can think of that would allow them to be competitive before their next big release.

Status
Not open for further replies.