AMD's Upcoming Richland APUs Spotted, Photographed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

...unless you're building a cheap gaming/HTPC system to make your TV rock, in which case it's very good news. Mine rocks so far, and cost well under $400. Good luck pulling that off with an alternative setup.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
This will hit the market with a quiet flop. This is the same APU that was released before with increased cpu and video clocks. The end. I will wait for the release of the GCN apu's in Q3/4.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

It has been months since the news of the Richland release in June (there are even benchmarks available). This article provides nothing new other than pictures of 3 of the chips. I am anticipating the release of these APUs as well but I am unsure how the release of a few pictures of these chips would be exciting news.

I do care for news about upcoming processsors, but a picture of a chip is hardly news.
By the look of those CPUs we can tell they... well, they will still be square in format... uh... they will have a metal enclosure... and... uh, forget it. Oh, they'll be made in China (big surprise here).

I do care for news about upcoming processsors, but a picture of a chip is hardly news.
By the look of those CPUs we can tell they... well, they will still be square in format... uh... they will have a metal enclosure... and... uh, forget it. Oh, they'll be made in China (big surprise here).

I like the fact that intels 3ghz cpu's are as fast as AMD's 4.1ghz cpu. Reminds me of the P4 vs Athlon XP days, but in reverse. Not good for AMD, hopefully they can pull back from this sh!tty inefficient cpu design.

Mitrovah

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
im not sure why amd keeps a revolving door of releasing cpu and apus, first trinity, now richland now kaveri, all in the same year

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Honestly desktop richland is unimpressive. Minor clock boosts on the same architecture with some power improvements. If you want to know how the 6800k will perform just take the 5800k and overclock the cpu to 4.3 ghz (couple hundred mhz) and the gpu to 844 mhz (from 800 mhz). Its not a substantial increase and you are kidding yourself if you think it will be (cue the downvotes).
Mobile richland will substantially improve over mobile trinity. By improving power characteristics and turbo, expect the a10-5750m to have a substantial improvement of 10-20% in cpu and gpu performance as the biggest problem with mobile trinity is that it can't keep the clocks up under load. Perf/watt really matters in mobile and richland is primarily an improvement in perf/watt.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
The real problem didnt really sell well is their pricing. Pentium Dual core using Ivy-bridge is clock @ 3GHz. Thats pretty fast + cheap + power efficient.
AMD may have better performance per price, but isnt really far away from Intel's offer.
Back in those days AthlonXP/Athlon64/Phenom price the diff is soo huge that there absolutely no reason to buy Intel. Why cant AMD do aggressive pricing again? They are doing very aggressive in GPU, why not CPU?

"The next chip, the A10-6700, is mostly identical to the A10-6800K, except that it features a core clock speed of 3.7 GHz, a Turbo core speed of 4.3 GHz, and an upwards locked multiplier to prevent overclocking, but not downclocking. It features the same graphics part as the A10-6800K."

The A10-6800K is 100w --- The A10-6700 is 65w, and even at 100% CPU load rarely exceeds 45w.

Additionally, the graphics engine on the A10-6700 is unlocked -- though typically to gain substantial advantage from higher speeds you need to use faster RAMs.

The AMD Trinity A10-5700 APU does not run hot (with a quite small HSF), so presumably neither will the A10-6700 APU.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well the CPU isn't impressive but realistically it is cool that we now have a CPU/GPU on one chip which is certainly good enough to play games like League of Legends, which is about all that I play these days. It blows Intel's option out of the water for things like that.

DukeOvilla

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Cool, Apu's have always been a good idea, but lacked practicality in the past, as their gaming capabilities were only "decent"
I'm excited to see if this new series implements new crossfire features, that would really improve APU popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.