AMD's Xbox One Deal Valued at $3+ Billion USD

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
So the consoles are probably worth ~$5 billion or more to AMD then. That's massive, hopefully consumers will see the benefits in the coming years.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
@blubbey: it does not mean much for the consumer if AMD alone does well. AMD, NVidia and Intel and all the other cpu/gpu/apu manufacturers must do well for the consumer to benefit. The moment a big corporate smells the word 'monopoly' they raise their prices, innovation slows down and the consumer loses. That's just the way it works.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
@The_Trutherizer: Right now I care more about the value of my AMD stock than anything else. The next gen consoles meaning billions to AMD means the value of my AMD stock going up. :)

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
It may be 'valued' at that, but value does not mean revenue and values can changes over night on a new forecast prediction. This also does not talk about profits. AMD has had billions of trade over the last few years but the key issue is that while it has had a massive turnover it has been losing money hand over fist. All this means nothing until the consoles are a huge success and AMD start putting some cash in the bank.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

Considering how big Intel are (much bigger than AMD) and that Nvidia are doing pretty well, I doubt this will mean AMD leaves both of them in the dust. This will not even be close to a monopoly, in fact Intel are much closer to one than AMD (anti-trust law suit because Intel were essentially paying manufacturers to choose them over AMD some time ago)... yeah. Not even close. AMD laid off about thousands of people last year or something so this is a good thing for you and I.

jryder

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but a company is treated as a singular entity (a legal "person"). So you should say, "considering how big Intel is . . .."

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
This was a match made in heaven. A company with no money that produces low-priced outdated chips pairing up with a company that has too much money and produces overpriced, outdated console gaming systems.

LordConrad

Distinguished

You are correct. I see this grammatical mistake quite often. I'm guessing that this is correct grammar in whatever country they live in, but I still find it annoying.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Is this a healthy news for competitors of AMD to see that they miss out on deal? Provided both Intel and Nvidia, however big they are, not able to settle a deal for two separate consoles? Certainly a step in better direction of planning and business for AMD.
Looking back at stock value and past involvement in developing consoles, business decisions to provide AMD architecture were correct and beneficial. This recent news shows it to be correct once again.
@internetlad
Clearly you have distorted image of AMD as company that produces wide variety of chips on this planet we call Earth. Now, if you would think Intel is big company, I have enlightening news for you. Have you heard of Qualcomm and Foxconn? These two companies produce every chip there is, unless a chip is being made in private lab.

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

It's correct grammar in Britain, where they use the word "are". So I don't think it's a grammatical mistake any less than "favour" or "theatre" would be spelling mistakes.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

The use of plural verbs with singular terms is not all that uncommon in British English slang, but usage frequency does not make it correct. Jane and I once had a back-and-forth about it. She explained how she ran into this issue quite often during her early writings for Tom's UK/IRL, elaborating that she was "smacked upside the head" for making this same mistake. (To TH-UK: Don't smack Jane!)

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
That's the contract that Nvidia was trying to make off was too unimportant for them to waste their time on - apparently it was beneath their dignity to work on such "low-end" hardware.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD to Nintendo: Are you sure you don't want an 8 core APU that will be on par with PlayStation and Xbox? We have the processors ready to roll and 3rd party developers would be sure to make a Wii U port.

Nintendo would have to pay additional in order to do that since the tablet itself needs processing power. Nintendo doesnt want to come off and make a console significantly more expensive compared to its competitors when the core gaming market is smaller than the casual gaming market.

mcaalrington

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Good for AMD, always been their fan. Going to skip the next-gen consoles however, they're heading in the wrong direction with pseudo always-on or can't play your games, much. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.