News AMD's Zen 3, Navi 2 APUs With DDR5 Support May Arrive Next Year

Makaveli

Splendid
I'm really curious to what we will see on the desktop. I have a feeling we won't see anymore cpu's on AM4. And Zen 3+ will be for the AM5+DDR5 platform to get the quirks out of that before Zen 4 launch. This refresh we may see in Q4 2021, then we may not see Zen 4 until Q1 or Q2 2022. And this date my change depending on what Alderlake brings to the table.

Giroro

Splendid
This roadmap seems just dumb enough to be real.
Like Van Gogh, nobody would expect AMD to add LPDDR5 compatibility to Zen2. I don't think generally anybody would expect AMD to use Zen2 in any new design, especially since everybody thought the point of skipping the 4000 series branding on desktop was to eliminate the mixed-core generation.
So, sure, 2 more years of Zen2. Great use of your limited 7nm production, AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: spentshells
Roadmap matches and seems similar to this one, though the information shared is still a bit confusing.

wumvhhN.jpg

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
I think we are being messed with.... I'll let my current desktop rigs ride out the rest of 2021 (I5Clarkdale2010 and I7IvyBridge2012 respectively) ... and see what's available. Previously, stayed with AMD through many K6 Super7 & Athlon SocketA varients until Core 2 Duo became impossible to ignore.

Looks like it will be a motherboard, cpu, ram, video card and NVMe upgrade for me this time around... and it will be AMD centric again . Perhaps a 570S/670 chipset (assumed name of 570/570S replacement), Zen3+ chip (hopefully a 5950+/6950 16core model will be available), 64GB of DDR4 or DDR5 (depending on what the chipset/motherboard supports), Navi2 video card (haven't bought a discreet card in a while, so this is really up in the air, but i better go with some form of RayTrace support... 6900XT might still be the AMD top end at that point.), and then of course 2 x NVMe M.2 drives...

One thing is for sure.... I'm positive the PC I build at the end of 2021, start of 2022 will be the last of my professional IT/OT career..... Selling hotdogs once my next build is rendered obsolete...

wtfmang

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016
no love for desktop APU, and supply will be nonexistent

if intel doesnt fukk up alder lake, they could recapture significant market share