Question American Megatrends Bios Advanced USB Configuration, Need to have USB 3 act as USB 2

Sep 26, 2022
I have found a setting page that I cannot see, to find an explanation for. The Advanced USB Configuration Options has two setting. XHCI0 Controller and XHCI1 controller. Both are enabled. I'd like to know if I disable these do I loose all USB ports or do they just become USB 2.0 ports vs 3.0? This is version 5.17 core version. I need the pots to be USB 2.0 NOT 3.

So you have a mini PC that doesn't have native USB 2.0

There is no way to convert an USB 3.0 controller to USB 2.0 because they are different in hardware and firmware, however the USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 devices, so what is your problem precisely?
Some USB devices like printers and scanners as well as modems and LAN adapters don't like running from USB3.

Reactions: lvt
Sep 26, 2022
So you have a mini PC that doesn't have native USB 2.0

There is no way to convert an USB 3.0 controller to USB 2.0 because they are different in hardware and firmware, however the USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 devices, so what is your problem precisely?

I have a sound application called "Multi Room Audio Player" that when I start it I get a small popup error that says "Bass_Init error..." . Then I get a larger popup that states, "Not enough USB controller resources, the controller does not have enough resources for this device."

I have two USB 7.1 sound cards / units plugged into the rear of the computer. Works find with one, but does not like the second.

Solutions online say to use USB 2 ports. Don't have any.

Solutions for dealing with the "Not enough USB controller resources..." do not seem to work. I have already used the Troubleshooting tool and already upgraded all the drivers, no go. I tried uninstalling the USB controller using the Device Manager, no go. I tried to use BIOS options that suppose to make USB 3 ports act as USB 2 by disabling XHCI, no go, application startup still throws the same errors.

On my older Lenova mini-PC I'm able to run four (4) of the 7.1 USB Sound units with no trouble. But its running Windows 7 and I thought it was time to upgrade.

BTW: Using the windows sound panel I can see both of the USB 7.1 units and I have them both set to 7.1 and I can test the outputs of each and Windows 11 does NOT throw any error / warning messages when I plug these in.

TRENDING THREADS