[SOLVED] American Megatrends "Harddisk failure imminent"

Feb 5, 2020
I just built a PC earlier last year and never had any issues booting it off of my WD SN750 250g M.2 drive.

Recently though, after posting, American Megatrends gives me an error saying something along the lines of "Harddisk failure imminent, replace harddrive to avoid losing data etc."

I then have to press F1 to go to the BIOS and use boot manager to start the boot process, and then Windows operates normally after that.

This drive isn't even a year old, and seeing how I can still boot and operate normally I don't think it is actually failing...

Any way to fix this boot interrupt I keep having? Or should I just buy a new drive and clone everything over to replace?

Last edited:
Solution
This failure is based on SMART reporting. SMART is a feature built into hard drives and motherboards to be able to predict possible failure of a drive. If you are getting this message most likely there is an issue with your drive.

I would suggest running the WD SSD Utility in Windows to see if there may be an issue:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

You can also run a program like Speccy to check the SMART status on a drive.

Being a year old doesn't mean it could not fail. Hell you could have gotten one DoA or that failed a few days after first use.

I highly recommend backing up any important data ASAP. SSD data recover is much harder than HDD.
This failure is based on SMART reporting. SMART is a feature built into hard drives and motherboards to be able to predict possible failure of a drive. If you are getting this message most likely there is an issue with your drive.

I would suggest running the WD SSD Utility in Windows to see if there may be an issue:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

You can also run a program like Speccy to check the SMART status on a drive.

Being a year old doesn't mean it could not fail. Hell you could have gotten one DoA or that failed a few days after first use.

I highly recommend backing up any important data ASAP. SSD data recover is much harder than HDD.

Solution

popatim

Titan
With the M2 drive only being 250Gb, I suspect you also have a Harddrive installed which could be generating the warning.

If you could host screen shots of the SMART output of all your drives on an image sharing site (such as imgur) and link us to them, we could help determine which drive is triggering the alert.

Feb 5, 2020
Alrighty, will do when I get home. In the meantime, can you recommend a decent utility for cloning my drive? I plan on getting a 500GB drive instead of the 250GB, and I want to clone over my boot partitions and everything but still have that additional storage. My concern is that if it clones the boot partition, then all my files, will it create an additional partition to account for the extra space? Or will that just get added?

USAFRet

Titan
Alrighty, will do when I get home. In the meantime, can you recommend a decent utility for cloning my drive? I plan on getting a 500GB drive instead of the 250GB, and I want to clone over my boot partitions and everything but still have that additional storage. My concern is that if it clones the boot partition, then all my files, will it create an additional partition to account for the extra space? Or will that just get added?
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

You have a WD Blue SSD, just dl the Acronis OEM version from their site
you can backup the drive to an image and restore to the new drive, or clone as you choose

Feb 5, 2020
Only asking because I unplugged my other drives other than the two I was cloning from/to, and my network card wasn't working when I booted... Since it's plugged in to a PCIE but also has a USB plugged into the motherboard I didn't know if maybe it was considering it a type of drive, and perhaps that's what was failing all along...

So, got a replacement network card anyway. Gunna try swapping them out shortly and then hopefully I can download/sign in to a cloning app and get the job done.

TRENDING THREADS