America's Army Cost Taxpayers $32.8 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
At least the money spent on America's Army was something everyone had access too. Besides, it was only 2-3 million dollars spent every year. If you really want to look at wasteful spending take a look at what the current stimulus package is giving money to. http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=2274

metalfellow

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Governments will continue to justify any spending if it suits their ultimate goal. I have played it briefly, didn't really captivate, if anything they should of just backed BF2 for recruiting, better game imo.

kavic

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
um can I have a refund? LOL The game was great until the last year or two. Now its just full of a bunch of kids with power trips that get you banned from most servers if you kill them or hop.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Considering Obama and Co. Just spent Trillions of dollars in his first term, and inflated the deficate and our currency beyond belief, not to mention the 787 billion dollar 'stimulus' bill that has not only stopped job creation, but has put us in even more debt I think 30 million dollars for a game I enjoy is actually worth it.

Hey guess where the money that is being returned to us from the banks that we helped bail out is going.... back to you and me ? Oh, no it's being spent by our government on more entitlement programs.

Spend our way out of debt? Hmmm that just doesnt sound right.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I played that for a while. Fun on co-op. Lame when people team kill though. Someone did that to me for a few rounds so I shot him in the face every round till I was banned.

sundm001

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I was conceived as a way to popularize the US Army. And someone correct me if I am wrong but does not that money come from their recruiting budget? It is not an added expenditure and considering the cost for retaining and recruiting the amount of people needed to staff an army it is just a small amount considered when they have a budget in the billions. I would say go on. If people enjoy the game and it serves its designed purpose, it looks like they have a winning combination.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
It's a good (and cheap) recruiting tool. $3.5 million a year is a drop in the Army's recruiting bucket. Certainly cheaper than the TV commercials.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Context with other recruiting tool costs:

Navy/Marines Blue Angles F-18A/B: $18 million a piece plus maintenance. They have 10 demonstration planes (A) and 2 double seat (B).
Air Force Thunderbird's F-16C/D: $18.8 million a piece. Six demonstration (Cs) and 2 double seat (D).
Army Americas Army video game: Between $2 and $4 million annual cost. Total cost YTD: 32.8 million.

You see, the Army is saving us tax payers on its advertising compared to the other branches. You can argue the effectiveness of advertising using a video game verse a spectacular air demonstration but when it comes to price, the Army has gone the cheaper route.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I'm going with annisman on this one, with all the cash the US government has spent during the Bush and now Obama administrations this doesn't even register on the radar.

BladeVenom

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
The cost is about what one Superbowl add per year would cost. From that perspective it was promotional bargain for recruiting.

BladeVenom

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
The cost is about what one Superbowl add per year would cost. From that perspective it was promotional bargain for recruiting.

Well, as other have correctly pointed out, the cost is definitely very small compared to other military expenditures. It's even very small compared to the annual recuriting budget. What I would like to know is what did the Army get in return? What was the benefit?

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
wonder why AA 3 previous developers say they were underfunded when obviously they were given more than enough. Still I agree with everyone, that price is very reasonable for such an effective recruiting tool. Then again I hated the latest installment since it first got released

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
We dump 750 billion a year into military, 3 million for this game inst even a drop in the bucket. remember that next time you complain about 80 billion a year to cover every man women and child in this country with health care.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I think its value as an educational tool for learning things about the military is almost equal to its value as a recruiting tool. I really enjoyed America's Army: Special Forces and spent hundreds of hours on it. That said they really screwed up the game on AA3. Bunch of retards developed that version. Not surprised the day of release they were all fired.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
It was very good prior to version 2.5. After 2.4 it went downhill and the newest one is actually a pile of crap. Thank goodness I am not American and my tax dollars weren't wasted on this game!!

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
As a recruiting tool, it's very cheap compared to the costs of renting buildings across the US. As a recruiting tool, it's also effective at generating interest in the mindset offer to "play" with weapons as they fight wars. Yes, the money was well spent.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]It was very good prior to version 2.5. After 2.4 it went downhill and the newest one is actually a pile of crap. Thank goodness I am not American and my tax dollars weren't wasted on this game!![/citation]

Dude, you are from Canada which is part of North America. You are not a US citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.