[SOLVED] ames crash when GPU usage gets too high? (Games freeze and crash in general after 2-10 minutes)

holmesc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
I'm wary that this may be a hardware problem (the GPU in this case) but i'm going to try all options.
My video games (not all, but many) have been crashing lately after 2-10 minutes, a likely pattern was GPU usage being high (which in itself shouldn't be an issue since they're designed to be used as long as they maintain reasonable temps).

Any game that causes excessive use of the GPU seems to find itself crashing to the desktop (I never once had a BSOD), all that crashes are the games.

I've stressed tested the cpu, memory, and gpu for a 10-15 minutes with OCCT software and no errors pop up.
I checked the temps and the fans and everything is fine (below 60 usually when under heavy use)

I've triple checked gpu drivers and windows 10 updates, all were up to date and verified. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and even rolled back drivers to try and see if it was a new driver issue.
Heck I even updated the bios (I doubt that does anything) to the latest version.

I'm really out of options, if this is a hardware issue I wonder why it works so well during the 2-10 minute interval (that or it just runs well on a game that doesn't crash because of low GPU usage).

Note: Everything worked great for the two years I owned this rig. I only recently got this issue after either a hardware problem or one of the two software updates (windows 10 or nvidia drivers). Again I doubt it's nvidia since I rolled back and tried two different drivers.

Thanks for the assistance if you guys help. This is really frustrating after coming home from work.

My specs:
i7 6800 Cpu
1080ti Gpu
32 DDR4 Ram
2TB SSD
1TB HHD
Asus STRIX X99 Motherboard
EVGA SuperNOVA 750

Note: My gpu was only a year old.

Solution
Did you do a clean uninstall of the older gpu drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller?
If you already did, then it might just be Windows being a jerk... again.

holmesc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
Did you reinstall the software that crashes?, windows issue?

also what do you mean by "excessive" gpu use?, it is supposed to be at 100% utilization when running demanding games

Yes I've reinstalled and verified the software/games.

I meant excessive as in games that require more percent usage from the gpu tends to crash, while lower end games do fine.

woot

Distinguished
Yes I've reinstalled and verified the software/games.

I meant excessive as in games that require more percent usage from the gpu tends to crash, while lower end games do fine.

lets assume that your windows and drivers are completely healthy, it has to be a hardware problem, power supply maybe?, also i would swap in another video card (even a low end one) and run those games and see if it crashes.