[SOLVED] Amount of Total Storage Different After Cloning

Jul 17, 2020
Hi,
I finally just upgraded from a mechanical harddrive to an SSD, and used Macrium Reflect to clone my stuff over. After doing it though, I noticed that the storage on the two drives was not equal, despite the partitions and unallocated space being identical.

Before cloning, there was about 165 gb left (of about 500) on the original drive. After cloning, it read as 170. The new SSD read 174. I shut off and turned my computer back on to change the boot order (I intend to replace the original drive but haven't taken it out yet) and not only were the two drives still different in storage, but the numbers changed. The original drive read as having 174 gb free and the SSD as 161.

Basically, I'm a noob to this and don't know what to do. Is this normal?? What's going on?? Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
Also, don't leave the old drive with its old OS in there. Serves no purpose.

Have you actually verified that the system boots up with ONLY the new SSD? The HDD physically disconnected?
Jul 17, 2020
Also, don't leave the old drive with its old OS in there. Serves no purpose.

Have you actually verified that the system boots up with ONLY the new SSD? The HDD physically disconnected?
So I disconnected the old drive and everything seemed to boot up fine! And as far as the data goes, this drive now says 174 GB. Before unplugging the old one, I was curious and used WinDirStat to glance over the data. It looked like it was mostly because of "hyperfil.sys" being larger on the new drive. I'm assuming that's part of what you're referring to right?
Everything seems to be running fine so far though!
Thank you for the response! :)