Amped Wireless Updates AC1900 Routers, Packs 8 Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealBeast

Titan

Good proofreading skills, but of course even a networking neophyte knows that he meant gigabit, as there are no consumer products with ports exceeding gigabit, and will not be for a long long time.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It sucks that none of these companies seem to be wanting to make 3 stream dual band wiifi adapters

802.11ac uses multiple 433.3 mbit spatial streams, each having around a 50% performance overhead, thus a top real world performance of about 200-216mbit/s per stream.

A 3 stream 802.11ac card can offer about 600-650mbit/s of real world performance if multiple connections are made (e.g., downloading from a local FTP server using a download accelerator such as downthemall).

the asus ac68 still seems to be the only 3 stream 802.11ac wifi adapter and due to the lack of competition, it is overpriced, and has driver issues.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Both the Range Extender and the AC Router are the same product. the only difference is what default settings you get.

They've been doing this for years, they just need one SKU and let the setup wizard do the rest.

remixedcat

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Interesting.... a 4x4 would be a Broadcom based config and Amped has gone with Realtek SoCs for thier other hardware! That would be cool if they switched or Realtek now has 4x4 MIMO

unempit

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
"Good proofreading skills, but of course even a networking neophyte knows that he meant gigabit, as there are no consumer products with ports exceeding gigabit, and will not be for a long long time."

True. My attempt at sarcasm was too subtle. Oh, and "...five Gigabyte wired ports..." is still there in the article. "Gigabyte" reminded me of the motherboard manufacturer. :)

Guilherme Franco

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

You also have Netgear R7000

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
This sounds a lot like marketing hype. You can't sell a device that exceeds the FCC limits on power output combined with antenna gain to my knowledge. However, if anyone can make a wireless router that works with my flakey Galaxy S4 running 4.3, I'd love it to death!!

Status
Not open for further replies.