News Ampere unveils monstrous 512-core AmpereOne Auroa processor — custom AI engine, support for HBM memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRStern

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2017
Somebody tell me please, what do people *do* with all these cores, ARM or x86? Do they not overload memory and IO channels?

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Eh, they're comparing against CPUs already a couple years old, but I think it will mostly have to compete with Zen 5 EPYCs, not to mention Sierra Forest:

mBKGbfXBMgQox5DMP5FKbc.jpg

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad there's someone building server-grade ARM CPUs you can actually buy and run as a "SOHO" user. I'm mainly skeptical of their approach in using a custom core design (again), but I suppose they can always go back to licensing ARM's Neoverse cores.

Also, I didn't see mention of SVE, which I think is lamentable. Now that Nvidia has SVE2 in Grace and Amazon has it in their Graviton 4, it looks like the ARM server market might finally be transitioning to it.

Feb 25, 2024
Somebody tell me please, what do people *do* with all these cores, ARM or x86? Do they not overload memory and IO channels?
I've seen mentions of using these as front-end reverse proxy servers where you do need to process a bit of data, but all of the heavy lifting is dispatched to backend app services. For large services I can see the benefit, but I've not seen any benchmarks.

Reactions: JRStern
Status
Not open for further replies.