Ample power, insufficient outputs for sli 770

ElectricIdiot

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
I have a 1200w power case psu that came with my build. As far as i can tell its more than enough to sli 2 gtx 770. However it only has 2 female molex jacks and no extra pci. Ive read that using 2 molex to pci adapters is inadvisable and even less so if i use splitters. Is there anything i can do or do i just have to suck it up and buy a new, less terrible psu?

Solution

You should read about memory and SLI. You don't get more RAM in SLI, it does not act like 4 GB of video ram if you have two 2 GB cards.

Luminary

Admirable
"or do i just have to suck it up and buy a new, less terrible psu? "

As bad as it may seem, that is indeed the best course of action. It almost never pays off to try and jimmy-rig a PSU into working in a way it wasn't intended.

ElectricIdiot

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Thats unfortunate. I can't wrap my head around having such a big psu with no capacity to use it.
I have an old broken down 500w antec psu with 6 molex jacks. Thanks for responding mate. I appreciate it.

Luminary

Admirable
You're most welcome.

If you need to be pointed in the direction of a good PSU to support your rig post your full specs in a new thread and the folks here will be happy to help throw out a few solid suggestions for you to mull over.

If you did not already purchase the second card and power supply, just get a single GTX 1070 and sell your existing video card. No need for new power supply, you have a current gen video card, less power draw on the house, same speed, no messy SLI performance in games that don't handle SLI well.

ElectricIdiot

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

The second 770 is a hand-me-down from my brother. The cost of the sli bridge was $5 so substantially cheaper than a 1070. At some point ill get a new card but in the meantime i am just looking to squeeze out a few more gigs of vram on the cheap.

You should read about memory and SLI. You don't get more RAM in SLI, it does not act like 4 GB of video ram if you have two 2 GB cards.

Solution