Amulet of Unchanging....polymorph wand...and polymorph con..

I was wondering if i used the wand while wearing it YES i can pick a
creature such as ARCH-LIch or Vampire Lord and put on the amulet of
unchanging ill stay that creature as long as i have the amulet on
right? OH and if thats possible and i get some potions of gain
level...can i gain levels as that creature if i take the amulet
off...drink the potion...and then replace the amulet?? hmmm???

xrunesx@gmail.com wrote:
> I was wondering if i used the wand while wearing it YES i can pick a
> creature such as ARCH-LIch or Vampire Lord and put on the amulet of
> unchanging ill stay that creature as long as i have the amulet on
> right?
Hell yeah, you can! It's a fun thing to do.

For a more poetic side, check out http://nethack.angband.pl/vlad.html
(or .png if it misrenders for you).

The caveats are:
* your innate regeneration will be infinitessimally slow. Thus, you
need to have it from an outside source (arch-liches have it built-in).
* your starting HP will be weak, but this is nothing some potions can't fix
* you use up your amulet slot.
* you can't pray to a lawful/neutral god in an undead form

From the two forms you mentioned, vampire lord is a lot easier, as you
won't get the abilities that make liches so scary.

Arch-Lich:
* good starting hp
* intrinsic regeneration
* extra attack: touch of cold
* halved carrying capacity

Vampire Lord:
* flying!
* extra attack: drain level (wield the SoA or Stormy for _two_ drains
per turn)
* insane AC

> OH and if thats possible and i get some potions of gain
> level...can i gain levels as that creature if i take the amulet
> off...drink the potion...and then replace the amulet?? hmmm???
Level (and stats, hp, etc) is not affected by unchanging, and you can
gain level in creature form the same way as you can do as yourself.
However, due to a bug, the level _won't_ be shown on the display,
replaced by some useless "hit dice" stat. Just ignore it and remember
your level yourself. It still affects anything that level should affect.

1KB

James

In article <d16bkm$r5d$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>,
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

>However, due to a bug, the level _won't_ be shown on the display,
>replaced by some useless "hit dice" stat. Just ignore it and remember
>your level yourself. It still affects anything that level should affect.

How is that a bug? Monster level is represented by hit dice, so it
seems consistent.

james wrote:
> In article <d16bkm$r5d$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>,
> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
>
>>However, due to a bug, the level _won't_ be shown on the display,
>>replaced by some useless "hit dice" stat. Just ignore it and remember
>>your level yourself. It still affects anything that level should affect.
>
> How is that a bug? Monster level is represented by hit dice, so it
> seems consistent.

For all purposes I can think of, it's your level and not hit dice what
counts:
* spell damage
* spell failure rates
* weapon/spell skill slots
* whether you die upon being drained to level 0
* etc
In other words, level looks like a mental characteristic describing your
skills, and thus stays put when changing form.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the only thing hit dice affect are
your starting hp in the new form, and you won't even recognize this
unless you know the mechanics.
Furthermore, hit dice stay the same regardless of you gaining levels,
etc -- you do gain maxhp and max mana, but the hit dice score doesn't
change.

1KB