Amusing Windows Phone Error Asks User to Insert Install Disc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Tom fails to check facts again.
Windows Phone 8 is NOT despite what MS says, running the same kernel.
I expect this is some code lifted from windows and cut'n'paste by a lazy undergraduate at MS.

Windows Phone 8 is a lash up job of Windows Phone 7 and some WindowsRT code to make it look like it fits in the family tree.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]richarduk[/nom]I expect this is some code lifted from windows and cut'n'paste by a lazy undergraduate at MS. Windows Phone 8 is a lash up job of Windows Phone 7 and some WindowsRT code to make it look like it fits in the family tree.[/citation]

Windows 7 has at least several dozen millions of lines of code. You want to write the entire thing from scratch, knock yourself out.

There are many cases where rewrites turn out to be worse than the original. The existing programmers were much more familiar with the original codes, thus they could troubleshoot bugs faster than the rewrites.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]juanc[/nom]Is that the new BSOD? (Black Screen of Death)Insert disk #22 and press button to continue. Just like in Monkey Island.[/citation]
That's actually identical to Windows 7 and Vista. (the BSOD, however, is still blue, but with a more modern style)

salh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]If you dig around in Windows 8 even (and 7) some service descriptions have Vista in their descriptions and i know of bugs that have come from Vista and are still in 7 and 8[/citation]
Dont the coders have some find function like ms word which they can use to find all these vista in the lines of code?
I'm a noob at programming so i wouldnt know

Status
Not open for further replies.