[SOLVED] An Air Cooler On a Asus Maximus XI Motherboard.

Aug 18, 2019
I'm pretty new to the whole computer scene and wanted to spend some of my money on a new gaming PC.
The question is that i was looking at some Asus boards such as the Asus Maximus XI Extreme and was wondering if this could be aircooled. Because the monoblock and other components suggest that this should be watercooled. Could I choose another board suited to this task such as the Asus Maximus XI Hero. As I want to pair this with the Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 66 CFM CPU Cooler, which from what I heard is not a great cooler however it does look cooler than other ones. (pun not intended). Also I heard VRMs get overheated so i wanted to know if that would be an issue too.

Last edited:
Solution
Aircooling will be fine,it's just that you can buy aftermarket monoblocks for that motherboard which will cover both cpu+vrm.

The vrm'will be fine with a motherboard like that. Maybe look at this by OC3D for some info,

What do you want to cool with that cooler? A 9900K would be best with a very beefy cpu cooler or better a very good watercooler (kinda depends on your case which one). Don't know why you would spend the money on a motherboard like that,but if you have too much go for it.;)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Aircooling will be fine,it's just that you can buy aftermarket monoblocks for that motherboard which will cover both cpu+vrm.

The vrm'will be fine with a motherboard like that. Maybe look at this by OC3D for some info,

What do you want to cool with that cooler? A 9900K would be best with a very beefy cpu cooler or better a very good watercooler (kinda depends on your case which one). Don't know why you would spend the money on a motherboard like that,but if you have too much go for it.;)

Solution
Aug 18, 2019
Yo, thanks for the tip. Since I am a novice builder I dont want to work with a water cooler. Although everyone is telling me its easy to install im still pretty derpy and may accidently leak it everywhere. Yea i have a pretty high budget and kinda overkilling everything, but hey i have been saving up for this project.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well aio coolers like those from Corsair or other vendors are pretty much bolt in solutions so little reason not to use them. With a 9900K would i just pick something better and not just spend money on a cooler because it will look good. You could even put some decent rgb fans on a Noctua NH-D15 if rgb is what you like.

Aug 18, 2019
Hmmm, the NH-D15 definitely could be a solution however i've looked around and have seen RGB fans that more or less decrease air flow/temp. So I will stick with my MasterAir Maker 8.