An all around family pc build help!!

ebibatboy

Reputable
May 13, 2018
Hi
I'm looking for a low-mif budget PC build for my family
My parents surfs the net for news and my brother use it for movies and music.i mostly want it for Microsoft office

Here's my 14 yeras old PC that got broken recetly.these specs were good enough for me.

Motherboard:gigabyte p61a-d3
Cpu:Intel dual core e2200
Ram;4 gb ddr3 ram
Gpu:AMD Radeon 6670

And here is the one I'm going to build.

Motherboard: gigabyte h110 m

Cpu: Intel g4400 or g4560.which is better?

Ram : crucial 4 gb ddr4

Graphic card:gt 730 Asus 2gb (everything seems so unusually expensive!somthing around 60-80$ would be good.)

HDD: my old 1tb HDD

Power:no idea

Case: no idea

can I have like a 64 gb SSD and my 1 the HDD at the same time or it's not worth it?

I'm open to your opinions and suggestions

Thank you

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
You can definitely have both an SSD and a mechanical drive. I think most people of this forum, assembling their own stuff, has that as huge SSD's are pretty darned expensive. :)
That Intel processor you've listed has integrated graphics so you could technically skip buying a graphics card if you're not planning on gaming. That frees up those 80 bucks for a slightly faster processor or maybe 4GB more RAM, as 4GB is borderline small these days even for a budget PC. (I'd suggest getting two memory stick (2x2 or 2x4) to enable dual channel memory for slightly improved performance)

ebibatboy

Reputable
May 13, 2018
That Intel processor you've listed has integrated graphics so you could technically skip buying a graphics card if you're not planning on gaming
Interesting.when i build my old pc 14 years ago they told me integrated graphics are useless.i don't know how much progress they made on it.can it handle these works?
Playing 1080 movies
simple photo crop and resizing?
Making charts and worksheets in office

Also,2×2 2gb ram faster than a single 4gb ram?what is dual channel?

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It should handle those tasks just fine. As long as you're not gaming a current Intel integrated GPU is fairly decent, on par with a smartphone GPU.
Dual channel is basically the processor trying to have each module handle every second request. Especially when handling bigger tasks (like video playback, image editing) it speeds things up because it can access twice as many bits per second. The modules will have to be identical for it to work.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I would suggest that you consider 2x4GB RAM as an absolute Minimum.

Integrated graphics will be good enough for what you do.

Look at AMD R5 2400G or Intel I5 7400

If you are going to get a SSD, then 256GB is the minimum size you should look at.

I would recommend getting a new hdd and using the old one as a paper weight. Disks don't last forever and you would not like to see an assignment disappear into the bit bucket. Reusing the hdd is a false economy.

TRENDING THREADS