An error (500 Internal Server Error) has occurred in response to this request.

Peanutbuter

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hi
I got this message a couple of days ago coming to Tomshardware site. I have been visiting this site for a very long time and not had and site specific issues before.
I was a little curios i got the (500 Internal Server Error), the error is just for toms everything else is working fine. So did the usual google search and followed quick easy step of clearing cache. this worked fine.
Now 2 days has past and i get the error again. It must be something with my pc though. i use Chrome normally. If i use firefox i dont have the 500 error and Tomshardware loads ok
Clearing cache isnt working the 2nd time.

Any ideas what might be causing this and how i may fix it?

Peanutbuter

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Wouldnt that affect all browsers and other people? (i also have no clue how web pages work, please excuse me if im being ignorant)
Using firefox i can reach tomshardware, its just Chrome that i cant reach site with.
Some follow up experimentation in chrome, i found i can reach forums just not news pages or main page.

USAFRet

Titan

No.
It just means at that particular instant, the servers burped and could not serve up the data to your request. 3 seconds later, it works.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Been getting nothing but 500s all day today, for any of their news links or main page, unless I opened up chrome incognito or something. Had to clear site-specific cookies, then I was back in fine.

Same here, only using Firefox. Just because it says error 500 it doesn't mean a local condition can't be the cause if it's sending something the server can't parse. Considering that I also can't log out manually, I'm guessing it has something to do with session expiration not functioning correctly. If I delete cookies and log back in it works fine for about a day before I have to do it again. Doesn't matter whether I log in normally or in Private Browsing, except that with Private Browsing when I close the browser it automatically deletes the session cookies.

mwryder55

Distinguished

Unfortunately, in this case you are wrong. I am using Opera and have the same problem. I can try to force load the page using Shift-F5 or Ctl-F5 or Shift-CTL-F5 with no luck. It doesn't matter how many times I try to log into the site and whether I type in the address or hit the reload button. My only way to get the site to load is to use another browser like IE or clear the history. Then it works fine for awhile, after signing in of course, and then the same game starts all over again.