Question An external drive for gaming on a Surface Pro 9 ?

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I wanted to have an external drive where I can store mostly turn based strategy games like XCOM or Civilization type games and play them on a Surface Pro 9. Is there a thumb drive that might be able to do this or do I have to go for a full fledged external SSD? What data transfer rate is necessary for strategy gaming?

I wanted to have an external drive where I can store mostly turn based strategy games like XCOM or Civilization type games and play on surface pro 9. Is there a thumb drive that might be able to do this or do I have to go for a full fledged external SSD? What data transfer rate is necessary for strategy gaming?
Does it have Thunderbolt 4 or at least USB-c V3.2 ? Fastest transfer rate would be with such adapter to M.2 NVMe SSD, quite comparable to inside mounted NVMe SSD. Only question is if game could be installed on an external drive.

If it's a Surface Pro 9 with 12th Gen Intel it has USB 4/TB 4. If you're looking for cheap then a good USB thumb drive will work (something performance wise similar to the Patriot Supersonic Rage Prime). If you want longevity then a USB enclosure with M.2 SSD or a USB SSD.

Reactions: CountMike

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If it's a Surface Pro 9 with 12th Gen Intel it has USB 4/TB 4. If you're looking for cheap then a good USB thumb drive will work (something performance wise similar to the Patriot Supersonic Rage Prime). If you want longevity then a USB enclosure with M.2 SSD or a USB SSD.
the 'Patriot Supersonic Rage Prime' has a 600 MBps transfer rate. Would that be enough for strategy games?