[SOLVED] an i5 7500 with a GTX 1070?

joworld0

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I have an i5 7500 with a 1070 gtx, been wanting to upgrade but the best cpu i can get on my motherboard is an i7 7700k... not trying to have a deadsocket but also don't want to spend 600$ on a new mobo cpu and cooler...
anyways my issue is my cpu is always running at 90-100% when running certain games..

Any suggestions on how to fix? is it worth the upgrade to a better cpu/mobo?

Solution

Its not that much higher. If this is your CPU and GPU usage during gaming, the problem is not your CPU.
If you are sure that it is 100%, it would be nice to know the GPU usage as well.
If the CPU hits 100% and the GPU is lower than 70%, I would recommend an upgrade, as you are not fulyl...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Decent high end platform as is. A faster CPU wouldn't hurt you but that is still quite a chunk of change to drop on a dead-end upgrade as you say.

To take some stress of the CPU, you could always increase screen resolution or settings and put the burden back on the GPU.

PuperHacker

Honorable
It is possible that your current CPU bottlenecks the gtx1070, in certain games.
If I were you, I would remove any unnecessary programs running in the background and ensure that the CPU is not overheating.
I have to say though, that the i7 7700k seems like a very decent upgrade, which will allow the gtx1070 to stretch its wings. Make sure that your cooler can support it and if you can find one near the $250 mark, go for it.

joworld0

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

I tried but most of the cpu usage is all towards the games (fortnite, etc) everything else is a very small percentage..
with msi afterburner and games open... the cpu temperature is about 46 degrees Celsius. is this an issue as well?

PuperHacker

Honorable

No, it is just fine. You could try reducing some CPU-bound in-game settings like Eximo said, some of them are particles, supersampling, lighting and shaders. If the GPU usage hovers around 60%, its time for an upgrade.

joworld0

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

I tuned up some settings like Eximo said and the gpu in task manager is around 50-55%

PuperHacker

Honorable

I see that CPU usage is at 47% and GPU usage at 46%, a perfectly proportinal ratio.
Especially in fortnite, reduce effects and shadows and check again.
Send a new screenshot.

joworld0

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

https://imgur.com/a/pBf9gbo
Just did, the cpu is way higher than gpu. Not sure why..maybe my cpu just needs an upgrade :??:

PuperHacker

Honorable

Its not that much higher. If this is your CPU and GPU usage during gaming, the problem is not your CPU.
If you are sure that it is 100%, it would be nice to know the GPU usage as well.
If the CPU hits 100% and the GPU is lower than 70%, I would recommend an upgrade, as you are not fulyl using your GPU. What resolution are you running at?

Solution

joworld0

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

1920x1080 with 144 hz
the cpu never really hits 100%. my best estimated guess would be the cpu is around 70 while the gpu is at 30 ish

PuperHacker

Honorable

Thus, it is not the problem. Make sure that temps on both parts are OK and ensure that you have the latest drivers for your GPU. What is your framerate and what settings are you using?

joworld0

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

As of right now I set everything to low the maximize FPS. I have the latest drivers for the gpu... the temps on the GPU is 60C and the temps on the CPU is 49C

joworld0

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

I just upgraded to 16 GB of ram from 8...
and same with other games like sea of thieves. same results

PuperHacker

Honorable

Ensure that you don't have V-sync (or an fps cap) on.
Also, another idea dawned on me while writing this: try seeing CPU usage per individual core.
Now that I think of it, it could be that some of your CPU cores are maxing out and others are barely being used, because of the way games are built. This could cause the low TOTAL utilization.
Monitor usage per core and report back.