Discussion An issue I have never had, and some vindication to advice given.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My gaming/streaming PC for the living room started having issues about a week ago with really bad stuttering. Not during games only, but during simple Netflix and YouTube playback, things like that. I first thought that I might have had something in one of the GPU fans, so I broke the case down to get to it (really small form ITX build) saw nothing in it, blew everything out real good and put it back together. Temps were never an issue anyway...but always good to get the dust out while you are there. Did the same thing almost immediately. Been crashing in game past couple of days, no error message but one was a hard lock and the other a soft crash to desktop.
Went into reliability history and event viewer and a common issue kept repeating for just over the past week. Long strings of numbers for the ID code that mention 'pascal' in them.

I see a lot of folks offer the advice that if your system isn't working correctly to make sure you are fully updated and on the newest drivers for everything. I had always slightly discounted that, in that I have NEVER had an issue with a driver if it installed and worked right from the start. I figured I would give it a go, downloaded the newest GPU/Chipset drivers, updated and the issue completely resolved, so far as I can tell.

Guess I won't overlook that bit of advice again. Thanks.

Reactions: USAFRet

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

You can use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. (You can use both but just one at a time.)

First observe while not gaming and then observe while gaming.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%) they are being used, and what is using them.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

You can use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. (You can use both but just one at a time.)

First observe while not gaming and then observe while gaming.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%) they are being used, and what is using them.

Not looking for advise, just a statement made. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS