Question An issue with Windows 10 "Reset my PC"

May 2, 2019
Useful background information(?):

Last night, I bought a new Acer 27" S271HL GBIDX Monitor at BestBuy. I set up the monitor and connected it to my tower via a DVI cable and a HDMI cable. The monitor would turn on but would not detect signal from either source. After failing to detect a source, the monitor turns blank. I tried a variety of methods in attempt to solve this dilemma, such as trying different DVI and HDMI cords. The monitor came with a VGA cord but my graphics card only has a DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort Cable slots. The monitor does not has a DisplayPort Cable slot.

Anyways, after returning the monitor in exchange for a replacement (of the same model), I set up the replacement monitor and HUZAH! - Signal is detected under the DVI source when I start my PC ... but wait! - after Windows 10 boots (and before the Windows User Log-in screen appears), my screen becomes blank. Okay ... I attempted several more restarts and the same issue occurs.

Time to try restarting in Safe Mode, right? Incredible! While using, Safe Mode (with networking) I am able to log into my user and enter my Desktop. I attempt to find Drivers for the new monitor, and had no luck. Under my Device Manager, several Audio Drivers including the Display Driver for the monitor have hazzard signs on them, yet when I automatically check for new available drivers, Windows finds nothing.

So at this point my PC starts to act strange. I could not use my keyboard to type in the Windows Search Bar, which I resolved quickly with an online fix. Then, every time I would open my Settings and go to Updates (for Windows updates), the Settings application would crash. I could browse everywhere else in Settings, just not Updates.

So, I decide to "Reset my PC", because I'm not sure what else to do. The PC fully re-installs Windows at 100%, and then proceeds to Update Windows ("Your PC may restart several times during this process"). During the second update it was installing, my Monitor goes blank. I become afraid to restart my PC. After long enough, I attempt to restart in Safe Mode. My PC tells me I cannot start in Safe Mode because Windows 10 is still installing, it tells me to restart again normally. I do. Windows Logo comes up, then a blank screen before I can get to the log-in or anything in between. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my display or Windows 10. I may try to connect my PC to my old monitor again and see what happens. My PC was perfectly fine before I set up this new monitor.

Help!

May 2, 2019
Useful background information(?):

Last night, I bought a new Acer 27" S271HL GBIDX Monitor at BestBuy. I set up the monitor and connected it to my tower via a DVI cable and a HDMI cable. The monitor would turn on but would not detect signal from either source. After failing to detect a source, the monitor turns blank. I tried a variety of methods in attempt to solve this dilemma, such as trying different DVI and HDMI cords. The monitor came with a VGA cord but my graphics card only has a DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort Cable slots. The monitor does not has a DisplayPort Cable slot.

Anyways, after returning the monitor in exchange for a replacement (of the same model), I set up the replacement monitor and HUZAH! - Signal is detected under the DVI source when I start my PC ... but wait! - after Windows 10 boots (and before the Windows User Log-in screen appears), my screen becomes blank. Okay ... I attempted several more restarts and the same issue occurs.

Time to try restarting in Safe Mode, right? Incredible! While using, Safe Mode (with networking) I am able to log into my user and enter my Desktop. I attempt to find Drivers for the new monitor, and had no luck. Under my Device Manager, several Audio Drivers including the Display Driver for the monitor have hazzard signs on them, yet when I automatically check for new available drivers, Windows finds nothing.

So at this point my PC starts to act strange. I could not use my keyboard to type in the Windows Search Bar, which I resolved quickly with an online fix. Then, every time I would open my Settings and go to Updates (for Windows updates), the Settings application would crash. I could browse everywhere else in Settings, just not Updates.

So, I decide to "Reset my PC", because I'm not sure what else to do. The PC fully re-installs Windows at 100%, and then proceeds to Update Windows ("Your PC may restart several times during this process"). During the second update it was installing, my Monitor goes blank. I become afraid to restart my PC. After long enough, I attempt to restart in Safe Mode. My PC tells me I cannot start in Safe Mode because Windows 10 is still installing, it tells me to restart again normally. I do. Windows Logo comes up, then a blank screen before I can get to the log-in or anything in between. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my display or Windows 10. I may try to connect my PC to my old monitor again and see what happens. My PC was perfectly fine before I set up this new monitor.

Help!
[/QUO

First Make and model of your Computer and graphics card. And yes, reattach your old monitor so you can rule out whether your problem is the new monitor or a stalled install. Further make sure you cables are completely inserted on the plug, sometimes it takes more effort than you would think.

Just because you are getting a blank screen with Windows resetting/installing does not mean Windows has stopped working. Boot up your computer and let it sit with a blank screen for at least 30 minutes. If that does not work, try a clean install of Windows https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Safe Mode loads Windows with a minimum of drivers, which includes not loading any sound drivers and just basic generic graphic drivers (640x 480), so the fact there were no audio drivers loaded is purposeful and not to be worried about. You say the monitor came with a VGA cable, hopefully you tossed it and used a DVI/ HDMI cable to connect your monitor.

Last edited: