[SOLVED] An Old Machine needs a new Upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
Hi All,

We are working are on a 12 year old DELL Laptop to run our newly built POS Billing system (Point-of-Sales) built through Ms Access Database. The Software Requirements are not so stringent but at least office 2016 should be installed. If Office 2021 could sit it's well and Good. I know it's a confirmed fact that Windows 11 cannot be installed on this machine as this machine is only having an i3 Processor. The main reason I am posting this here is, The system is very old So, There may be many bottlenecks situations should be considered. It should not be a situation where we buy an Higher component but its capability and capacities could not be utilised because of the presence of some low capable components. We are ready to spend for our upgradation but only after serious considerations . Please tell us what components should be upgraded? or replaced with? any New Components should be purchased?

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

My Specs:
My Specs

Solution
That's the issue. That old laptop will use ancient technology, the USB2 ports will be severely gimped, an external ssd will be seriously slow as a result, barely better than the internal HDD.

You are a victim of unplanned obsolescence, anything new and fast will work, but is restricted by the original design parameters. It's to the point where a new Samsung Galaxy cell phone is at least as powerful and faster than your laptop, better wifi, better upload/download speeds with USB-C connectivity etc. Even a newish tablet is just as capable, if not more so.

As the old saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and you have an old and leathery sow. Sorry.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
We are working are on a 12 year old DELL Laptop t
There are no upgrades. It's a 12 year old Sandy Bridge laptop. There's only replacement at this point. Spending money on a ram upgrade or hdd upgrade would not result in marked performance changes, so be wasted money.

Oh, and it's a Dell, which makes things worse as they insist on using proprietary connections, components, etc.

I'd suggest that you start shopping both new and used markets to see what your budget can get, see what will be more useful for your needs. Win10 really prefers 8Gb, it uses upto @ 1.5Gb by itself, so leaves very little for program choice unless you deliberately shut down stuff like the Microsoft Store, Cortana etc. SSD will be highly preferable to HDD, no point in a slow pc making customers wait any longer than they must.

Last edited:
Reactions: martinch

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's the issue. That old laptop will use ancient technology, the USB2 ports will be severely gimped, an external ssd will be seriously slow as a result, barely better than the internal HDD.

You are a victim of unplanned obsolescence, anything new and fast will work, but is restricted by the original design parameters. It's to the point where a new Samsung Galaxy cell phone is at least as powerful and faster than your laptop, better wifi, better upload/download speeds with USB-C connectivity etc. Even a newish tablet is just as capable, if not more so.

As the old saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and you have an old and leathery sow. Sorry.

Solution
An ordinary SSD will certainly work, but I hope you have severely lowered your expectations on how much it will improve your overall experience on a 12 year old PC.

It's a dual core; 2.2 ghz; 2 GB RAM;

Passmark benchmark single thread score 984. Nearly identical to a mid range desktop I built in 2007. (A Conroe Core 2 Duo E6600).

Hi All,

We are working are on a 12 year old DELL Laptop to run our newly built POS Billing system (Point-of-Sales) built through Ms Access Database. The Software Requirements are not so stringent but at least office 2016 should be installed. If Office 2021 could sit it's well and Good. I know it's a confirmed fact that Windows 11 cannot be installed on this machine as this machine is only having an i3 Processor. The main reason I am posting this here is, The system is very old So, There may be many bottlenecks situations should be considered. It should not be a situation where we buy an Higher component but its capability and capacities could not be utilised because of the presence of some low capable components. We are ready to spend for our upgradation but only after serious considerations . Please tell us what components should be upgraded? or replaced with? any New Components should be purchased?

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

My Specs:
My Specs
You can make it better if you want to spend the bucks.

Ram.

HMT325S6BFR8C-H9
https://www.amazon.com/Memory-SO-DIMM-PC3-10600S-1333MHz-HMT325S6BFR8C-H9-REFURB/dp/1254875778

Disk.
2.5 ssd of your choice.
Perhaps a crucial bx or mx 500GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.