Question an overheating mystery

Nov 12, 2020
Hi all, would love some advice to solve a mystery that I cant find an answer to!

I have a fairly new (under warranty) PC I9-9900 with a GTX 2080 super. It overheats on boot from cold, Every core gets to close to 100 degrees and occasionally it shuts down. But if the temperatures drop they will stay low (20-25) and will never heat up again - no matter how hard you tax it. This is very annoying. I can avoid it by leaving the machine on all the time. But on cold days it will do it waking from sleep too. Manufacturer didn't understand problem, sent it back to them and they changed the cooler and when I got it back it had exactly the same problem. The chances of two identically faulty coolers is unlikely. I know it is not software as if you go into the bios it is already at 90 degrees in seconds. It is not the fan as it is running flat out and I am at a loss as to what else it could be? I don't want to send it back again for them not to fix it. I was told by one engineer that the motherboard sometimes goes into low power mode so make sure it is plugged into the wall not a remote plug?? That didn't seem to make any real difference. I am baffled, surely a faulty cooler and it would spike again under heavy load? Not software, not a fan. I want to send it back with some suggestions as I cant get a third cooler I know it wont fix it. I am sorry I am not too technical so I hope this is a clear enough description. I have logged the temps with HWinfo if it stays on long enough to get it running (it does sometimes) and once the temp starts to fall it does it very quickly and then that is the problem solved for that day!

I have been dealing with this rebooting and switching off for 8 months now so any help extremely welcome.

Nov 12, 2020
Each of the CPU cores gets up to 100 degrees (according to the Bios and HWnifo). I hope I am explaining it correctly. Do these specs help:

I dont know what cooler it is to be honest - but the one they replaced it with looks the same as the old one!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-PG080A4
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F6 CT, 23/07/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI-CF
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Each of the CPU cores gets up to 100 degrees (according to the Bios and HWnifo). I hope I am explaining it correctly. Do these specs help:

I dont know what cooler it is to be honest - but the one they replaced it with looks the same as the old one!

-snip-

Do you happen to have the model number of (what I assume is) this prebuilt? I think many of our questions and concerns could be dealt with here as far as helping.

9900K doesn't come with a cooler, so there is either an AIO or air cooler of some kind on there. If it's an air cooler and without knowing anything about your case, take a side panel off and see if there is any change on boot, or in general on temps then.

Nov 12, 2020
Here is a bit more info from the original invoice - appears to be a water cooler! (Was from a be-spoke build from a company Chillblast (the cooler name gives that away!)

SKU CBFUSIONWOLF9900KGAMINGPC
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, 8 Cores / 16 Threads, 3.6 - 5.0GHz
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Tempered Glass Case - Black
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card (2-Slot Design)
VR Headsets: Not selected
Case Lighting: Not selected
CPU Cooler: Chillblast 120 CPU Water Cooler
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
Case Cooling: Not selected
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro WiFi Motherboard
Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)
OS Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive
Solid State Drives: Not selected
Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 3TB BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk

I cant fathom why its only an issue immediately at the start and never under heavy load. Its as if it takes a while for the cooler to get going! I will take the panel off before booting tomorrow and report back - as it is running now and temperatures are all good (21-23) then it will not get hot again until the machine is cold. I want to tell them I would like the parts replaced that might cause this - I assume that is processor and motherboard (given the cooler has already been replaced?). Thanks all