An Ubuntu Tablet, Or A Windows Tablet, Your Choice: MJ Technology One Step Closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Jun

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
We already have one product on the market our MJ7HDTV Android HDTV Tuner tablet which you can buy in numerous online stores. We have the ability and factories to produce the Ubuntu tablet. We look forward to bringing this tablet to reality for all.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

I can only seem to find the MJ7HDTV Android HDTV Tuner tablet on your company website and Ebay. That hardly what I would call "numerous".

As for the Ubuntu tablet. at $400 - $500, it's heavily overpriced considering there have been "2-in-1" models from established companies in the $200 - $400 range that will run Ubuntu without the need to spend an additional $60 on a keyboard. In fact, I have a Windows tablet with comparable specs that only cost $200. Though Ubuntu is well known within the enthusiast community, it's still an unknown to the vast majority of consumers, making it a hard sell at such a high price point.

Brock_5

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
This tablet has twice the RAM of BQ's tablet, which is normally a HUGE markup from device manufacturers for consumers. Also 8 times the memory, another normal markup. Plus tons of ports. And a keyboard add-on that makes it into a real mini laptop. I own the TV android tablet and the build level is really nice, so this tablet should be the same, not some cheap plastic junk. This is going to be worth every dollar. Of course they are not putting a tablet only availible for preorder on Ebay. Anyway I have watched this tablet for forever, read Tom's Hardware original article and loved the idea and cant wait to get my hands on it

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Visit use on Facebook or our website for more information...

http://www.facebook.com/MJ-Technology-LLC-576568032444682/

http://www.mj-technology.com

Please consider the uselessness of tablets relegated to content consumption only. Give me hardware that I can use in College to replace paper with quality active digitizers and pens, bluetooth for mice, and not-crap keyboards. I like your aesthetic, but I have too much to do to take longer to input.

jt87

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
[/quote]

Please consider the uselessness of tablets relegated to content consumption only. Give me hardware that I can use in College to replace paper with quality active digitizers and pens, bluetooth for mice, and not-crap keyboards. I like your aesthetic, but I have too much to do to take longer to input.[/quote]

A word of advice.

Once you get out of college and into the real working world, you will find that tablets can be quite useful for work. On jobsite inspections, I currently use an Ipad for taking pictures and marking up drawings to be used later back at the office.

They can also be used for presentation given the proper hardware setup.

That is why I am going to be purchasing the MJ Tablet once it's out. With the right software, I will completely replace my Ipad, plus my workstation-class Dell laptop, for nearly 75% of my daily workload. Outside of gaming, it will do everything I need and I am a fairly average user.

Consider what an artist or musician could do with this tablet and the right software, then tell me "tablets are for media consumption only".

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
A word of advice.

Once you get out of college and into the real working world, you will find that tablets can be quite useful for work. On jobsite inspections, I currently use an Ipad for taking pictures and marking up drawings to be used later back at the office.

They can also be used for presentation given the proper hardware setup.

That is why I am going to be purchasing the MJ Tablet once it's out. With the right software, I will completely replace my Ipad, plus my workstation-class Dell laptop, for nearly 75% of my daily workload. Outside of gaming, it will do everything I need and I am a fairly average user.

Consider what an artist or musician could do with this tablet and the right software, then tell me "tablets are for media consumption only".

"Once you get out of college and into the real working world..."

Condescending much?

I have worked professionally for years, and have spent plenty of time as a laborer and foreman on jobsites. You seem to validate this device's capability for any number of reasons which are not unique to the machine linked in this article.

Yes iPads dont have a full fledged OS, or USB ports. No they cant replace your laptop so obviously this is a step up. If this is going to replace a laptop, its likely because it can take a keyboard and mouse, *which are not hallmarks of tablet productivity*.

Taking pictures can be done with a cell phone and tablets wont replace my cell phone because I'm not going to fit a tablet in my pocket.

Markup is *ok* at best with capacitive touch screens like iPads. The rubber nib styli are hardly better than fingers for accuracy, and the better Jot Pro stylus still has nothing on a proper Wacom Digitizer with an active stylus and palm rejection.

Presentation is content consumption.

How you use your computer is subjective to your opinion. Having a USB port is nice, because it enables accurate pointer control by adding a mouse. The Surface, and its (legitimate) competitors package theirs with smaller, stowable active-styli that are as accurate (or more, ask an artist) than a mouse.

For a tablet to be most useful as a *content creation* device, sans-attatchable keyboard and additional mouse (more things to carry) a stowable, active stylus is thus far the best option I have seen, and it facilitates the -efficient- and -effective- replacement of paper.

Good luck with your tablet.

jt87

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
My humble apologies. My college comment was out of line and I am sorry that I made it.

Your initial post just struck me as coming from a young college student who hadn't seen much outside the classroom and dorm walls.

I do agree with you opinion on Wacom digitizers. I hadn't really thought about them in a while. Been using a mouse for so long, haven't touch a Wacom in 3 or 4 years.

Again, I do apologize. I was out of line and will think more before posting.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
My humble apologies. My college comment was out of line and I am sorry that I made it.

Your initial post just struck me as coming from a young college student who hadn't seen much outside the classroom and dorm walls.

I do agree with you opinion on Wacom digitizers. I hadn't really thought about them in a while. Been using a mouse for so long, haven't touch a Wacom in 3 or 4 years.

Again, I do apologize. I was out of line and will think more before posting.

All good man. Apology accepted, and to be fair, most college students are young and green, so it was a reasonable assumption.

I've been looking for this style of full-OS tablet for light drafting/design work as well as general paper replacement and without better input methods like quality digitizers and palm rejection, they dont fit my personal use-case.

The Surface is sweet, but expensive for my budget, and I was hoping this was going to be an affordable, linux compatible device with either Wacom or N-trig active styli, which would make my interest in this unheard of company much more significant. That doesnt appear to be the case however.

cheers.

jt87

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015

I know what you mean about the Surface. IF I had the money, I would have one myself.

I have heard of some Wacom devices working with Linux, but haven't tried myself.

I can ask the developer about a Wacom or N-trig active styli. I would like that function myself.
Right now he is working on getting the touch interface to work solid and accurately with the hardware.

The palm rejection is probably controlled similar to input rejection from a touch pad when typing.

I don't know if you have looked at the MJ Technology Facebook page in the last day or so, but they have come up with a pair of mid-range spec models for in addition to the high-range spec units. They are listed on their FundRazr page on the right side. Here is a link if you are interested:

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/716fr1?fb_ref=share__45X8D2

Also, he just posted a new video today showing the on-screen keyboard functionality and what the tablet has for ports. This is still a prototype case, but a more finished case is coming in a week or so, then folks can see what it should look like closer to production.

Mark Jun

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Just to give a comparison of our tablet to other tablets on the market here is a Windows 10 2in1 with somewhat comparable specs with lots of the features being lower specifications or omitted and we know price is always the biggest factor.

Also we are adding a feature to the $399.99 to $499.99 range HDMI Input that's right you will be able to plug a HDMI device in to record or view on the tablet.

This will take extra time in software development to implement the record and view functions but HDMI out will function at Tablet release and HDMI input should be shortly after release date.

This added feature requires no PCBA redesign so once the requests poured in for the feature we added it to the final design as it added no major costs or obstacles.

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_332588.html

Just to give a here is the comparison:

They are using the Intel Cherry Trail X7-Z8700 which is known to have an issue we are using the Intel Cherry Trail X7-Z8750.

They only offer 64GB or 128GB in our 10.1" model we have a mid-range model using Intel Cherry Trail x7-Z8750 and 2GB Ram and 64GB EMMC at $299.99 add a keyboard and your only at 349.98. We even offer a model using Intel Cherry Trail x5-Z8300 and 2GB Ram and 64GB EMMC at $229.99.

In our 10.1" line we offer 128GB EMMC at $459.99 with keyboard added ours is $509.98 versus their price of $510.43 with fewer specifications then ours.

We offer a 256GB SDD option they only offer up to 128GB EMMC and ours is only $499.99 for 256GB SSD option with a keyboard added in the price at only $549.98 it is definitely a bargain.

USB 3.0 OTG Full Sized port theirs has one ours has two full sized USB 3.0 ports.

USB Micro OTG port on ours no port on comparison tablet our has a USB Type C and a Micro USB OTG port

Back camera: 5MP Front camera: 2MP on theirs and on ours has Back camera: 13MP Front camera: 8MP

Battery on their 10.1" 7300mAH on ours 8500mAH and on our 8.9" 7500mAH

No mention of touch points on their Touch Screen ours is a 10 point touch.

In conclusion with specifications and pricing I would say we are hands down the better bargain you make the verdict by checking out the specifications for yourself.

The added bonus for you as the consumer with us is you know there will be tech support/warranty and software support with continuing upgrades and software releases coming on a regular basis.

@itsnotmeitsyou We will attempt a video with a stylus using GIMP see how it shows up in a video

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Being able to record from an HDMI input would indicate that the tablet is not HDCP compliant. HDCP doesn't permit recording from HDMI. So, basically, it's a "pirate friendly" feature.....

I recently ran across a brand name 11.1" convertible (not an off-brand tablet as you linked to), with very comparable specs to your 10.1" tablet for a mear $199.99. This is something I see on a regular basis.

We also know with your company, that it could go belly up at any time. Your company has existed for what? Just over a year? So far it's been funded by crowdfunding sites. Your company is still a startup that's trying to get some market. You still have no brand recognition and that is dangerous when competing companies are selling comparable products at less than half the price.

Mark Jun

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
@Sykozis our first product the MJ7HDTV was self funded and been out almost a year as for the HDMI Input on our Ubuntu Tablet it is for Videographer's and Photographers that want and need a second screen or an ability to edit videos or photos on the fly which was a request/suggestion by our fan base and future consumers.

jt87

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
HDCP doesn't permit recording of ENCRYPTED video streams from devices like a Roku or services like Netflix. Unencrypted video, such as from a digital video recorder or video output from a camera, is not normally encrypted, so this would allow a person, say a coach, to record their team's baseball or basketball game directly to their tablet, allowing them to show the team at half-time what needs to be done to help them.

As for the "name brand 11.1" convertable", after spending quite a bit of time, I have yet to find said mystery tablet. So, without having a name brand to reference, I have to seriously question the validity of what you are claiming.

It seems from reading some of the posts above you have an axe to grind with this company, for what reasons only you know. From your posts, you want to do nothing but deride this company and call it's very future existence into question.

After looking at their Facebook page, you would find that there is considerable interest in this device and they are providing regular updates, including videos of the different distros they are testing for future development.

So, if you have nothing constructive to say, why not just stay out of the conversation and let people make their own choices?

Brock_5

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
The surface 3 has the same processor and not nearly the number of ports as the man tablet from MJ-Tehcnology. The 128GB version is seling for $600 on Windows Store still while this tablet is far less. There might be some cheap chinese tablet with a similar processor for less but most of those are older now and don't match the quality that MJ-Technology is showing. I have their old android tablet and build quality is great, very sturdy. Going back to all the 'bonus features' included, there are an insane number of ports for a tablet, even a small laptop is often hard pressed to have that many. The is plenty powerful for day to day tasks from most reviews, if you want serious gaming then a tablet is not going to be able to handle the it no matter what the processor. The keyboard is looking great to make this a good laptop replacement and only for $50. In short for the price you can hardly beat that tablet and I look forward to buying one as soon I have the money saved up.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

I have no issue with the company. I'm the exact same way with AMD and LG. Two companies that I'm very fond of. If you'd like to see a discussion about a company I have issue with, I'll gladly discuss Samsung or SNA with you any day of the week.

I'd love to see some of these startups step up and challenge companies like Samsung, LG, Asus, HTC, etc. Simple fact is, if these companies aren't pushed to release better products at more competitive price points, they fade into obscurity and either end up getting bought out or fail. Having a small, dedicated fanbase doesn't make a company successful. AMD is a perfect example of that as are HTC and Blackberry. All 3 companies have relatively small, dedicated fanbases.

The chinese tablets have become popular because they focus on the largest consumer group.

As for the brand name convertible. My local BestBuy consistently has Lenovo and Acer 10.1 and 11.1" convertibles at $199.99.

The future of every company is always in question. All it takes is 1 misstep for a company to fail.

@Mark Jun - Looking on your FundRazr page you have a 10.1" model with Atom x5-Z8300, 2GB LP-DDR3 and 64GB storage listed for a donation of $229.99. I can't imagine it would take much effort to do an 8.9" model with the same processor, ram and storage and hit the $190-200 mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS