An Update on AMD's Changing the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I am actually in my video gaming class right now. I wish they would have offered a video gaming class back in middle school. I think it's a very good idea to get kids interested in actual careers early so they don't go off to college not knowing what they want to do.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I plan on teaching my kids how to program when they're old enough, so yes, yes this is a good thing. I would totally let my kids do this.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Seeing as I'm starting for my PhD in Mathematics this fall, of course I'm going to say that this is a good thing.

And for all students going off to college, I would suggest taking as many (pure) mathematics and English courses as possible. The world can do with more people who can speak and write effectively and think rationally.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Any courses in middle and high school that offers real world experience is a good thing. Majority of school is a complete waste.

dravis12

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I am a huge fan of Dean Kamen's FIRST program. I would totally support more school programs / classes emphasizing science and engineering. The US needs more emphasis STEM skills. AMD is on the right track here if you ask me. Technology helped build this country and is what keeps it alive.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Here is something to think about, and this may not apply to everyone. I currently work in a job that never existed when I was going to school. I think that is going to be the case for most kids today. I think this effort is great even if it is focused on the gaming industry. Yes the traditional stuff still needs to be there, but an emphasis on other things as well, even if they are a set of electives with so many credits required from different options. As a side my oldest son who will be 12 has been on a PC since he was 2 and knows how to use 3.1, 95, 98, XP, & MAC OS7-X. Was developing his own Starcraft Maps at about 2.5-3 (granted they were not the greatest and I often times had to modify them to be playable). Anyway, because the PC is such a part of our lives unlike when I was growing up in the 80s kids these days have a greater advantage.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
waikano-
Games are a great way to learn to program. Not only is it more interesting to learn over making a RSS feed or programming a calculator, it enforces OOP without even trying.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]I think this is a poor substitute for pe and physical activity.Hopefully this is not the intention.[/citation]
We've evolved to have big brains, not muscles. Let's focus on our skills.

PD: The post was a satire; I acknowledge that sports are part of a healthy living.

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that allowing students the access to courses in computer technologies is a great idea, but it should never become required.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]We've evolved to have big brains, not muscles. Let's focus on our skills.PD: The post was a satire; I acknowledge that sports are part of a healthy living.[/citation]
Yes big brains need a big strong body to pump the blood to that brain physical activity is so under rated at schools. :) Also it's always good to look healthy nothing wrong with that.

GAZZOO

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I think it is a great Idear but do not loose site of the fisical interaction needed to socialize in a healthy upbringing
As it is now our children are spoiled to getting what they want wether its good or bad for them everything now is done through texting on mobiles television and PCs they still need to socialize with friends in group activites to learn,solve,exersize,comunicate and to activly grow outside the PC monitor in reality to form bonds well you know the rest
But that said I still think what AMD is doing in education wize is the wright way to go forward (and yes I am partialy iliterate) :)
Gazz

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]GAZZOO[/nom]I think it is a great Idear but do not loose site of the fisical interaction needed to socialize in a healthy upbringing As it is now our children are spoiled to getting what they want wether its good or bad for them everything now is done through texting on mobiles television and PCs they still need to socialize with friends in group activites to learn,solve,exersize,comunicate and to activly grow outside the PC monitor in reality to form bonds well you know the restBut that said I still think what AMD is doing in education wize is the wright way to go forward (and yes I am partialy iliterate) :)Gazz[/citation]
I agree that social interaction is important, and apparently so does AMD.
[The program is] aimed at improving technical skills by teaching children to develop games with social content.
So not only does the creation process require group effort, it produces a social tool.

Nifty.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Im in a multimedia class now, and have been for the last 1 and half years. Granted we're not learning programing in this coarse (thats another one), but it is available and I'm attending that next year.

So far we've learnt how to make 3D animations using 3ds Max, we've also covered filming with green-screen and then importing ourselves into animations. Its totally awsome, and I think its a great opportunity.

Whilst doing this, I'm doing the Full IB and I've kept my GPA above 3.8, so im doing decent in all the other areas aswell. I feel like I've learnt a lot, and knowing how to advancedly use photoshop and other programs could be real advantagous later on.

here are 2 links to a brilliant Pizza animation and of me playing and a friend playing [HD] Guitar-Hero on the MOON!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08tsDThanK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPyI8cBbItI

6th grade may be to late. I started coding basic in 3rd grade. As long as you can add and spell a few simple 2, 3, and 4 letter words.

Without question programing of any kind that requires language like expressions should be seen as language arts. This is as important as spanish, latin, french, and the rest in this digital age.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]wolfseeker2828[/nom]I am actually in my video gaming class right now. I wish they would have offered a video gaming class back in middle school. I think it's a very good idea to get kids interested in actual careers early so they don't go off to college not knowing what they want to do.[/citation]

Not knowing what you want to do can be quite awful.

[citation][nom]skine[/nom]Seeing as I'm starting for my PhD in Mathematics this fall, of course I'm going to say that this is a good thing. And for all students going off to college, I would suggest taking as many (pure) mathematics and English courses as possible. The world can do with more people who can speak and write effectively and think rationally.[/citation]

I agree that mathematics are beneficial to society, but I see written and spoken communication over stressed in society.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i'm quite surprised with positive comments here...
indeed, change has become faster almost parallel with evolving tech.
i just hope this works well and as intended, for example, only kids willing to learn such are allowed.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I agree that mathematics are beneficial to society, but I see written and spoken communication over stressed in society.[/citation]
Overstressed but undertaught.

Status
Not open for further replies.