An update on windows xp turns screen black on lenovo laptop

jasonlaratta

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I have been trying fix the no sound on a friends laptop Lenovo 3000 c200 8922, so I went to the website and dl and update installed the update and followed the prompt to restart the computer (windows XP) and when it came back on this is what happened:

Welcome screen for Lenovo,
next,
windows xp loading screen,
then,
went black, or dark blueish black, insted of the windows log on screen.

This as far as i can get, so If I could see to log on, (tried that even though i could not see, i managed to log on, as i could tell because the processor light flickered and system managed to be working as though i was logging into windows. But nuthing but black screen.

Its possible that the update was not meant for windows XP but for Vista or was not intended for this machine dont know, but all the criteria seemed to check out for update and was listed under the make and type of this laptop found of manufacturers web site.??

Is there a way of resetting the VGA adapter with out seeing what im doing? or maybe a command I can use in command prompt if I can get there. Or even reversing the updates/changes made without being able to see more than a black screen or out side of loging on to windows?

Is there a way of resetting the VGA adapter with out seeing what im doing? or maybe a command I can use in command prompt if I can get there. Or even reversing the updates/changes made without being able to see more than a black screen or out side of loging on to windows?[/quotemsg]

You might luck out and get a screen in safe mode.
Or boot from Win CD to repair
or Boot from rescue disk.