[SOLVED] an Used GTX 960 4GB causing issues

Jan 5, 2019
Hello. A pair days ago I replaced an Radeon R9 255 4gb with an used Gigabyte windforce GTX 960 4GB. I uninstalled the old GPU drivers, turned off the computer, replaced in the gtx 960, and installed the drivers from nvidia website.

After that if I opened an application, for example chrome, there were black/purple pixels everywhere on the chrome window. I tried to start games like Rainbow 6 siege, my computer freezed, nothing worked, it was totally locked, I had to plug off the power.

After couple of minutes I started the computer again, now this time I didn't have to start a game and the freeze occurred again, the computer didn't respond to anything so I had to take off the power.
I reinstalled the drivers with DDU, and checked with GPU-Z the gpu function, the gtx 960 core clock was locked at 125 MHz all the time, and the GPU load showed 0%
So the GTX 960 4GB caused black screens, total freezes (had to unplug the computer) and pixels when running applications. What could be the issue here?
Now I'm using my old R9 255 2GB without issues. I've a VGA plug with one DVI adapter, which is connected to my gpu and the VGA end is plugged into my monitor. My pc specs below

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
Cores 4

Threads 8

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM

8,00Gt Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

Manufacturer LENOVO
Version 31900058 STD or WIN

Chipset Vendor Intel

Chipset Model Haswell

Chipset Revision 06

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model B85

Southbridge Revision C2

BIOS

Brand LENOVO

Version I1KT37AUS

Date 14.2.2014

Graphics

SyncMaster (1920x1200@60Hz)

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 255 (MSI)

Storage

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA )

MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW830

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

PSU

Corsair VS650 Watt ATX

Solution
Have you checked your GPU temps if they are fine? Also, I would uninstall the drivers with DDU and install the 960 and see if you get same issues with default VGA drivers. To be extra safe, I would also try a different output port, even tho it's very unlikely for it to be causing hard crashes, something may shorting out in the port, you never know with used cards.

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
Have you checked your GPU temps if they are fine? Also, I would uninstall the drivers with DDU and install the 960 and see if you get same issues with default VGA drivers. To be extra safe, I would also try a different output port, even tho it's very unlikely for it to be causing hard crashes, something may shorting out in the port, you never know with used cards.

Solution