Analog cable on LCD

Need a sanity check because I'm losing it...

I connected an analog cable signal via coaxial cable to an ATI Tv
Wonder VE card (on an Athlon XP 2000/GeForice Ti4200 system) connected
to a 19" LCD (Samsung 193p). The CD that came with the ATI card was
defective (weird, for a shrink-wrapped retail box from mwave.com?) so I
had to download the software (DAO->driver->MMC->remote control s/w).
Now, I get the TV signal, but the picture is a bit grainy... worse than
the same signal connected to a "normal" TV. I expect the picture on the
LCD to be AS GOOD as an analog TV - not worse....

Does this make sense? Any advice?

Re_endian_miss@yahoo.com wrote:

> Need a sanity check because I'm losing it...
>
> I connected an analog cable signal via coaxial cable to an ATI Tv
> Wonder VE card (on an Athlon XP 2000/GeForice Ti4200 system) connected
> to a 19" LCD (Samsung 193p). The CD that came with the ATI card was
> defective (weird, for a shrink-wrapped retail box from mwave.com?) so I
> had to download the software (DAO->driver->MMC->remote control s/w).
> Now, I get the TV signal, but the picture is a bit grainy... worse than
> the same signal connected to a "normal" TV. I expect the picture on the
> LCD to be AS GOOD as an analog TV - not worse....
>
> Does this make sense? Any advice?

Personally I'd send it back--whatever happened to the CD may have happened
to the rest of the board. Beyond that, last I heard the TV Wonders were
still using the old BT8x8 chipset which isn't very good by contemporary
standards--see if you can find a board that uses one of the newer Phillips
or Conexant chips--the Compro boards are well regarded and start at about
$40, going up to about $90 at which point you're getting the same kind of
signal processing that you got in the final generation of pure-analog TVs.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)