[SOLVED] "Analog" connection for 5.1 surround sound on brand new high-end desktops

kewlguitar

Commendable
May 20, 2018
Do brand new high-end desktops still allow the 3 jacks at the back, for speaker, mic and line-in, to be used as connectors to a 5.1 surround sound system which does not have HDMI or SPDIF ports, modulated by a surround sound driver such as Realtek HD Audio Manager?

Solution
Generally speaking, yes.

Here is (i think) the complete color code:
Pink - Analog microphone audio input (mono or stereo)
Light blue - Analog line level audio input
Lime green - Analog line level audio output, front stereo (speakers or headphones)
Black - Analog line level audio output, rear stereo (surround speakers)
Orange - Analog line level audio output, center and subwoofer (surround speakers)
Silver - Analog line level audio output, side stereo (surround speakers)
Generally speaking, yes.

Here is (i think) the complete color code:
Pink - Analog microphone audio input (mono or stereo)
Light blue - Analog line level audio input
Lime green - Analog line level audio output, front stereo (speakers or headphones)
Black - Analog line level audio output, rear stereo (surround speakers)
Orange - Analog line level audio output, center and subwoofer (surround speakers)
Silver - Analog line level audio output, side stereo (surround speakers)

Solution
Do brand new high-end desktops still allow the 3 jacks at the back, for speaker, mic and line-in, to be used as connectors to a 5.1 surround sound system which does not have HDMI or SPDIF ports, modulated by a surround sound driver such as Realtek HD Audio Manager?
Higher-end boards tend to have discrete outputs for surround sound to make this unnecessary. Cheaper boards tend to multiplex the mic and line-in jacks for such.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I certainly don't know them, all, but I would expect a yes, as above. But I will note an exception I just got, although it is NOT a high-end system. The mobo has only 3 jacks on the back panel, not six. and the colour codes indicate outputs for front stereo pair (light green) plus Line In and Mic In jacks - no 5.1 system connections. HOWEVER, the manual makes it clear that it DOES do 5.1 surround sound, and you can specify that in the Realtek sound system configuration tool. Then the two other rear jacks become the Centre / Sub and rear speaker sets, so I am doing that. That leaves me with only the front light pink jack for Mic In and a front earphone stereo out jack, but that's OK; I don't need a Line In, and I don't need side speakers for 7.1. Bottom line: If the jacks on the back do not look like they all are there, read the manual to verify exactly what it can do.

TRENDING THREADS