Analog Monitor, Digital Signal

Bodragon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Is it possible to modify an analog LCD monitor in order to enable it to receive a digital signal.
I read somewhere that for an LCD VGA (analog) monitor to work properly, the analog VGA signal that it receives has to be converted, via the internal circuitry to a digital signal that can be displayed by the flat LCD screen.
If this is indeed the case, would it not be possible, with a bit of soldering handiwork, to bypass the internal analog-to-digital converter and wire in some kind of DVI socket?
Then I could resurrect my old VGA display and connect it directly to the digital output of my graphics card which lacks any analog ports at all.
I have searched high and low on the internet but have not come across anyone else asking even a similar question to this.
Go to it all you Techies!!
Just to clarify, I am NOT looking for a computer graphics card digital output -> VGA monitor connection solution. This would be quite easy to solve.
Thanks.

Bodragon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

I know I can do this but this is NOT what I want to do.
Did you read my post all the way through?

Bodragon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
You are entirely correct. An adaptor/converter would not necessarily be cheaper (this all depends on how much I value my time), but absolutely a much simpler solution, it is.
The thing is, I am not looking for a solution to: "How can I connect my old VGA screen to a digital signal".
No!
I am interested in electronics and dabbling / modding / hacking and this is why I posted my very precise question.
Now I know you didn't do this but since I'm here, let me tell you what else annoys me when I ask a question in a forum.
There is always one. Nay, sometimes several, who, rather than answer my very specific question (because that's the only type of question I ever post - "very specific"), ask me the question back: "why would you want to do that?"
Arrrrrgh!!! That really gets me.
I know you're only trying to help so I thank you for your contribution and continue to wait...
...for a proper answer. (No disrespek, Alex)