Question Analog. Signal out of range. 74.5 kHz / 60 Hz.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
Hi there. So I was trying to connect one of my older GPUs to a fairly old system ( Core 2 Q8300, Asus P5Q motherboard, 8gb DDR2 800mHz, and the GPU I'm trying to connect is an Nvidia 9500gt). I stupidly forgot to uninstall the drivers from the gtx1050 that I had installed previously (pls don't judge ;-; ) before connecting the 9500gt. Therefore the system booted and I was greeted by this: "Analog. Signal out of range. 74.5 kHz / 60 Hz" . I reconnected the GTX 1050 to get a signal and uninstall the drivers (which I ended up being able to do only in safe mode) and put the gt9500 back in afterwards. However the same issue occured even when I tried to boot windows in safe mode. How can I fix this? I'm sure I made some BIG NO NO mistakes but I hope that I at least gave enough information. If any more details are needed I'll be glad to provide them. Thanks in advance.

Edit: OS is windows 7

Last edited:
Do both cards use the same type of port (hdmi,dp) ?

Some GPUs do retain the settings you used on them before so it could be that it was set up for a different display with higher resolution or refresh rate than what the monitor can handle.

If you have a different monitor or tv or anything with the same input as the 9500gt port I would try to see if I could get a signal there.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
Do both cards use the same type of port (hdmi,dp) ?

Some GPUs do retain the settings you used on them before so it could be that it was set up for a different display with higher resolution or refresh rate than what the monitor can handle.

If you have a different monitor or tv or anything with the same input as the 9500gt port I would try to see if I could get a signal there.
I used both of these GPUs with one display (an LG monitor, don't remember the model rn though it is an old one). The monitor only has a VGA input so I used an adapter to connect it with the gtx1050, the 9500gt has a VGA output already. I didn't change anything regarding the monitor with either card so I really don't know what to say 😅😅. Thanks for your reply.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
When the prompt appears - at the BIOS time or when Windows is loaded? Difference is important here. See if you can boot to BIOS and get display there.
It happens Right after the "starting windows" screen if I recall (I'm currently not home) but I am 99% sure that it does get past the bios screen. I'll get back to ya.

Last edited:
It happens Right after the "starting windows" screen if I recall (I'm currently not home) but I am 100% sure that it does get past the bios screen.
So that seems to be a problem with Windows settings. When it starts it sets screen parameters (resolution/vertical&horizontal refresh) to such a combo that is not supported by your screen. By far simplest solution is to connect another monitor to your setup so you can get display and then change params to supported by your primary monitor.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
So that seems to be a problem with Windows settings. When it starts it sets screen parameters (resolution/vertical&horizontal refresh) to such a combo that is not supported by your screen. By far simplest solution is to connect another monitor to your setup so you can get display and then change params to supported by your primary monitor.
Alright, thank you very much. I'll get back to you after I try that.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
Hey there, sorry for returning so late. I plugged in a tv screen because I don't have another monitor to try, now it only says "no signal". The system does boot into windows because I connected a pair of speakers just to have another point of reference and I heard it load into windows normally. Anyway, I checked every input on the screen but I don't get a signal on any of them. I used both a VGA cable straight from the GPU into the VGA input of the tv screen and the HDMI input by installing a DVI to HDMI adapter but still no signal.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
There are two types of dvi, one is digital and a converter to hdmi will work and one is analog which needs a very special type of adaptor to work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector
Thanks for your reply! It looks like the output on my gpu is a DVI-I based on the pictures on the article that you sent. The adapter I have resembles the DVI-D more than anything. Since DVI-I "supports" both analog and digital DVI shouldn't it work? Geniunely asking because I didn't know about this. Thanks.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
Does the TV worked with your 1050? As a side question, are you sure 9500 is working? Also, what Windows are you using? I assume you only connected TV and not your monitor when testing this but if you connected both try with only TV.
Sorry for the lack of info 😅😅, my bad. I'm using windows 7 and I currently have just the tv screen connected, no other monitors or anything like that. The TV did work with the 1050, I was using it as a secondary monitor last year but never as a primary. Now as for the 9500gt I wasn't sure if it was working, it hadn't been used in along time so I don't have much to say on this. My question is would the system be able to load windows normally if the GPU didn't work? Also since I was able to get a signal with my monitor yesterday (just not after the bios screen) is there still no hope for it? Thank you.

Now as for the 9500gt I wasn't sure if it was working, it hadn't been used in along time so I don't have much to say on this. My question is would the system be able to load windows normally if the GPU didn't work?
Yes, you can load Windows even without any GPU at all no problem.
Also since I was able to get a signal with my monitor yesterday (just not after the bios screen) is there still no hope for it?
Well, unfortunately the fact that it works in BIOS tells us almost nothing. Only that card is not totally dead. It may be in working condition, we just don't have a way to be sure of it. I only asked if it works because it would feel stupid spend a lot of time solving a problem only to find out it could not be solved because GPU not work.

Can you somehow get a hold of real monitor, preferably with DVI input? Otherwise it really gets tricky. The only other way I can think of is to put 1050 back in the system and install drivers for 9500, then shutdown and switch cards. The problem is I don't know if it is even possible this way. Even if it will work you may be forced to shut down system without display (so practice keyboard shortcuts before).

Hmm, I remember some of the Asus P5 boards had integrated graphics. Maybe yours has it?

Reactions: CpuBurner