[SOLVED] Analog speakers not working because of Interference, or the position of the moon ?

Oct 5, 2021
After spending at least an hour or two trying to get logitech z-640 analog 5.1 speakers to work, I feel like I'm going a little crazy. I connected them to my sound card (as well as to onboard realtek) in my retro xp system... and certain speakers would not work at all (at first either rear speaker with the audigy sound card... then just the rear left with the onboard realtek). Then there were muffling issues in another speaker. This happened over hundreds of plays of the speaker test sounds.

Eventually I randomly moved the three speaker audio output cables from the center speaker that go to the sound card onto the floor and farther from all the speakers ... and then like 'magic' they all started working properly! It's been so confusing- is audio interference from audio output cables to speakers a thing? Are analog pc speakers (particularly budget pc speakers) very sensitive to interference?

Most importantly, is there anything I can do to reduce this sensitivity like wrapping wires in aluminum foil or something to shield them?

I spent at least 2-3 hours putzing around with them listening to the sound tests trying to figure out how to get consistent 5.1 sound and the currently working set-up feels incredibly fragile at the moment!

Solution
Noted your comment:

"So I'm thinking there's a physical cable/speaker connection issue inside the center speaker, and the only way to really fix it would involve taking it apart, and possibly de-soldering the output wire, removing the tip, and then re-soldering it to the connection point"

Before taking anything apart first check all plugs and ports with respect to TR, TRS, TRRS. Include any adapters/splitters, etc. that are included in the audio connections.

Reference:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

There may be some mismatch in the connections and/or a particular plug or port just physically "off" enough to move and make the problem intermittent.

Maybe a piece of debris in a port or...

Lutfij

Titan
I think the cable that feeds off the satellite that tethers to the sound card might be the issue or that your audio ports on the sound card might be compromised or the sound card's drivers are acting up.

Mind sharing the specs to your build and audio equipment? You might want to include images of the audio setup as well as the state of the cables considering that the speakers aren't exactly new in condition(if you looked back at when it was made). With the new year, that speaker set will be 2 decades old.

Oct 5, 2021
I think the cable that feeds off the satellite that tethers to the sound card might be the issue

I think you nailed it here. I tested the speakers on an audigy 2 nx, fresh driver install in XP, and then on the on board realtek on the B75-ITX MB with fresh drivers in w7 and XP, then on my w10 machine with an audigy FX card. Never got surround sound out of all satellite speakers. Then it started working, and I noticed if I moved that center speaker->pc cable around near the back of the center speaker, static sound would output from the rear left speaker.

So I'm thinking there's a physical cable/speaker connection issue inside the center speaker, and the only way to really fix it would involve taking it apart, and possibly de-soldering the output wire, removing the tip, and then re-soldering it to the connection point? Which would be complicated by the fact that these budget speakers were clearly not designed to be taken apart- I'd potentially have to dremel it open and then superglue it back up.

I just really wish I could find a new set of analog 5.1 speakers! they sell for outrageous prices on ebay- and all I want is to use my old EAX soundcard to play some Unreal Tournament/EAX surround sound games.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted your comment:

"So I'm thinking there's a physical cable/speaker connection issue inside the center speaker, and the only way to really fix it would involve taking it apart, and possibly de-soldering the output wire, removing the tip, and then re-soldering it to the connection point"

Before taking anything apart first check all plugs and ports with respect to TR, TRS, TRRS. Include any adapters/splitters, etc. that are included in the audio connections.

Reference:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

There may be some mismatch in the connections and/or a particular plug or port just physically "off" enough to move and make the problem intermittent.

Maybe a piece of debris in a port or a slightly bent plug.

You can use an audio extension cable to alter/test the physical connectivity between plugs and ports. Could change the way things now fit and perhaps correct the problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS