Analyst: T-Mobile to Soon Carry iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Lol isnt this what they said when the 4 launched and then they were really sure when the 4s launched and then they were even more sure when the 5 launched whoever is making these predictions need to be fired how can you be that wrong and still have a job

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]clownbaby[/nom]meh, the best thing about t-mobile is the unsubsidized value plans.[/citation]
Scratch that, the $30 5GB plan kicks ass. I'm on that with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus (might upgrade to a Nexus 4, with no contract to get in my way) and am quite happy.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
They just said a few days ago that they weren't going to have the iPhone because it didn't make good business sense at the time, which in plain english means they did not want to bend over forwards for the greedy bastards at Apple.

Good for TMobile not being swayed by the ignorant iDrones. Anything else they spend the money on has got to be better for them in the long run, especially considering the unreasonable nature of Apple's demands.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]They just said a few days ago that they weren't going to have the iPhone because it didn't make good business sense at the time, which in plain english means they did not want to bend over forwards for the greedy bastards at Apple. Good for TMobile not being swayed by the ignorant iDrones. Anything else they spend the money on has got to be better for them in the long run, especially considering the unreasonable nature of Apple's demands.[/citation]
Exactly what demands does Apple make on the carriers that are unreasonable?

The only ones I know of is that the insist on control of OS distribution and no bloatware from the carrier. Those are not unreasonable, and in fact, consumer friendly. I wish Google and their OEM partners would start making the same demands so while some phones are getting JB, other phones, completely capable of running ICS and JB, are still stuck on GB.

k7mm

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
At this point....Why?

I think Apple should pay for the advertisements saying that the iPhone is available on their network

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Exactly what demands does Apple make on the carriers that are unreasonable?The only ones I know of is that the insist on control of OS distribution and no bloatware from the carrier. Those are not unreasonable, and in fact, consumer friendly. I wish Google and their OEM partners would start making the same demands so while some phones are getting JB, other phones, completely capable of running ICS and JB, are still stuck on GB.[/citation]

I agree with you that Google/OEM needs to handle OS releases. But sometimes, having/upgrading/downgrading OS does not always mean good things. Example, got friends with iPhone 4 & 4S with iOS 6, they hated the downgrade and there's no legal way of getting back to iOS 5. Now their phones are slower, got half day battery life and have the lag of death. I guess this is Apple's way of convincing them to upgrade to ifone 5. But guess what, many are coming over to Android.

Recently, my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S3 got upgraded to 4.2.1 and 4.1.1 respectively. Did not notice any major difference, at least not in my usage. OS upgrade are so overhyped.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Personally, I don't think it makes sense for TMobile to get ifones. Their plans are $20/2GB/month the last time I check, therefore they're charging customers more upfront(e.g. $280 for SGS3 instead of $200). If they're offering ifones, then they either need to heavily subsidize it, which makes it no profit or money losing business, or charge the same as other phones(e.g. $280 for ifone 5 instead of $200 like every other carriers, apple won't let them), or the 3rd option, have a different tier of plans for iphone, that will probably complicate their current system and plans.
Also, keep in mind that, there are currently many unlocked ifone running on TMobile with 2g speed, in order for ifone to be compatiable with 3g+, they need to remap a lot of their bands.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Exactly what demands does Apple make on the carriers that are unreasonable?.[/citation]

Off contract iphones cost a hundred dollars more than other high end phones, such as the SGS3. Apple forces the carriers to eat this difference by requiring that the base iphone model be sold to customers at $199, even though the carrier is paying Apple $100 more than the would for a comparable Android phone. They rape carriers because they can.

Apple also requires carriers to agree in advance to buy tens of millions of phones, whether or not they can sell them. This is why it cost Sprint $15 billion to get the iphone.

So hopefully T-Mobile continues to refuse to waste its money on a single phone, when they could spend it on other devices or on improving their network.

Speaking of which, iPhone on T-Mobile makes no sense right now because they are in the process of building their LTE network for future phones, and switching frequencies used by the current ones, which will actually make unlocked at&t iphones work at full speed on T-Mobile's network anyway. Even if they are going to offer the iphone at some point, it would not make sense for them to do it now.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]
Example, got friends with iPhone 4 & 4S with iOS 6, they hated the downgrade and there's no legal way of getting back to iOS 5. Now their phones are slower, got half day battery life and have the lag of death. [/citation]

Smoke dreams?
I have iPhone 4S and iOS6. battery life is the same, speed is the same, direct facebook and twitter integration is great, taking panoramic photos is great, password-less app update is very useful, prompt to authorize app access to calendar/address book made phone more secure.

I don't know anyone who switched from iPhone4/4S to an android. I see people upgrading 4/4s/Androids/BB to iPhone 5s.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]I agree with you that Google/OEM needs to handle OS releases. But sometimes, having/upgrading/downgrading OS does not always mean good things. Example, got friends with iPhone 4 & 4S with iOS 6, they hated the downgrade and there's no legal way of getting back to iOS 5. Now their phones are slower, got half day battery life and have the lag of death. I guess this is Apple's way of convincing them to upgrade to ifone 5. But guess what, many are coming over to Android.Recently, my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S3 got upgraded to 4.2.1 and 4.1.1 respectively. Did not notice any major difference, at least not in my usage. OS upgrade are so overhyped.[/citation]
Not seeing much difference between the iPhone and the Androids I know of. When our Bionic's got ICS, if someone decided to take the upgrade, it was impossible to go back to GB, they were stuck on ICS and the Razr's were the same way. I suppose if someone went to the greatly increased expense to buy an off contract, unlocked phone (with an unlocked bootloader) they would be able to downgrade, but the fact is, those who do that are the very few.

Status
Not open for further replies.