Analysts Now Believe PC Market Will Shrink This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
"Citigroup downgraded Intel, AMD and Nvidia and told clients that it now believes the PC market will contract in 2012."

2012 is almost over! does it really take a huge corporation to analyse what already is 3/4 done?

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
don't they say that almost every year? Oh, I just purchased my first SSD! Yay! It's OCZ, so I'm hoping that it's not a DOA or messed up lol

G

Citi selling? I'm buying! These jag-off's almost destroyed their whole bank in 2009, the hell do they know? Wall street = crooks

[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]"Citigroup downgraded Intel, AMD and Nvidia and told clients that it now believes the PC market will contract in 2012."2012 is almost over! does it really take a huge corporation to analyse what already is 3/4 done?[/citation]
Yes, because most of the sales for the year are done during back to school (which we are still in the middle of), and Christmas sales. The calendar year may be nearly over, but we are only ~1/2-1/3 through the total sales for the year.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah whatever. I think these analyst's claims are more likely to find their way into the trendy journo's article, following which uninformed shareholders will start selling.

It's all hype, one way or the other.

AMD and Nvidia have volatile stocks anyway. Intel's far more stable, i don't expect this to happen.

But then again, i'm not an "analyst" so no one will believe me :(

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Lol how can the market decrease when populations are ever increasing at rapid pace. These Analysts are truly clueless, somebody please fire them.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
this guys is like PC enemy he post all stuff about PC dying, you mad? how can we continue to live without PC every innovation and invention is done by PC CAT, CAD, CAM etc. we need PCs damn.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't understand what they define as a "PC". Desktop computers are definitely PCs. And I think they include laptops as well. But now they are saying they don't include tablets. What about Windows/x86 Intel tablets (they came out long before the iPad)? Are Macs included in PC sales? And if they are why isn't the iPad considered a PC?

As long as the tech industry keeps growing (across all forms) then analysts just need to stop with all the doom and gloom predictions.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I don't understand what they define as a "PC". Desktop computers are definitely PCs. And I think they include laptops as well. But now they are saying they don't include tablets. What about Windows/x86 Intel tablets (they came out long before the iPad)? Are Macs included in PC sales? And if they are why isn't the iPad considered a PC? As long as the tech industry keeps growing (across all forms) then analysts just need to stop with all the doom and gloom predictions.[/citation]
Lol don't you remember the "Apple is the largest PC seller if iPads are PCs" articles that keep popping up on tom's?
That was IHS, though.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
IMO, "PC" means any desktop or laptop that runs Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 -OR- any desktop or laptop that runs MacOS.

It Does NOT include "mobile" platforms, like Tablets, Smartphones, Media players (iPods) or Standalone Reading devices (Kindles).

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Lol don't you remember the "Apple is the largest PC seller if iPads are PCs" articles that keep popping up on tom's?That was IHS, though.[/citation]
I think you'll find samsung to be the lagest seller in tablets are PCs also

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]IMO, "PC" means any desktop or laptop that runs Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 -OR- any desktop or laptop that runs MacOS.It Does NOT include "mobile" platforms, like Tablets, Smartphones, Media players (iPods) or Standalone Reading devices (Kindles).[/citation]
Yeah. In fact i think anything with an SoC should NOT qualify as a PC (obviously i'm excluding servers, supercomputers and network hardware because we agree that they're not PCs), even if it's SoC is x86 based.

Tablet PCs should be called just that, tablet PCs.

Anything compatible with the IBM PC spec/design layout (monitor+chassis and components that are x86 compatible+keyboard/mouse) should be called a PC (Macs are now PCs).

Everything else is simply another sub-category of "computer" (so is the PC of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.