[SOLVED] Ancient System

mendalh

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
I built my computer over 11 years ago, I've had no issues until now. My GPU just up and died, it started to shut down my comp and glitch out and then one day nothing. Since it was so old I decided to just get another one, so I found the exact same model and purchased it, well it also died within a few weeks of installing it. Which means either my PCI slots are bad or my PS is bad, correct me if I'm wrong on this theory. This is my system:
Not sure If I need to get a new motherboard or PSU.
Thanks in advance

Solution
If there are no other issues present my thoughts lie with the PSU.
It might not be a bad idea to check around to see if anyone has an x50 level card (one that doesn't take supplemental power to run) that you can pop in to see what happens.

IIRC there was a recent announcement that the 600 series of GPU have fallen off support. Given the overall age of this unit, and of course based on your use case scenarios, it might be a good time to start looking at something new.
D

Deleted member 362816

Just because lighting struck twice doesn't mean it wasn't just the cards being bad/dying. Wouldn't hurt to replace the power supply if you feel like that needs to be done but I don't think it's the motherboard.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If there are no other issues present my thoughts lie with the PSU.
It might not be a bad idea to check around to see if anyone has an x50 level card (one that doesn't take supplemental power to run) that you can pop in to see what happens.

IIRC there was a recent announcement that the 600 series of GPU have fallen off support. Given the overall age of this unit, and of course based on your use case scenarios, it might be a good time to start looking at something new.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Just because lighting struck twice doesn't mean it wasn't just the cards being bad/dying. Wouldn't hurt to replace the power supply if you feel like that needs to be done but I don't think it's the motherboard.
Occam's Razor tells me that the odds of the issue being independently failing GPU's by happenstance are long. I also believe that this is the PSU killing the cards. Though coincidences do happen.

D

Deleted member 362816

Occam's Razor tells me that the odds of the issue being independently failing GPU's by happenstance are long. I also believe that this is the PSU killing the cards. Though coincidences do happen.

You had me at Happenstance, I agree very possible the PSU is the reason.