+ and - 5 volts rails...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
my -5v rail runs at about 2.5v and my +5v rail runs at 3.5v... is this bad? what components run on +/-5v rails?... no stability problems for over 2 months, comp does run hot im thinking this could be a reason but doubt it... input plz

amd 3700 754
160gb wd
2 120mm case fans
1 pci fan
2 ps fans
x700pro
1 gb corsair
400 watt thermaltake psu
is this too much for my psu? doesnt seem that way... psu is a year old

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I always ay that if it works but you dont know how leave it the hell alone, those numbers are both within the + and - thresholds so shouldnt be a problem.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
If i am understanding you correctly +5 and -5 are like ones and zero's So your +5 voltage(or -5 not sure which) ie 3.5 sends a 1 and your -5(or +5) ie 2.5 sends a zero. Crashman might attack me if i am wrong so i wont go any further.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Well, RabidPeanut is on the right track... but some of the details are misleading.

Spec for PSU voltages is +/- 10% so those readings are either very bad, or misreadings.

If your PSU is new enough the -5v rail may be nonexistant (things stopped using it a while ago and it was recently - within the last year or so - removed from the spec), and any reading should just be ignored.

5v @ 3.5v is definitely out of spec. If the system is stable and works properly then I'd chalk it up to a misread. Since you said it runs hot however I'm like you - it sounds suspicious... What runs hot on it? how's the CPU fan? You've got lots of fans so its possible they could be fighting each other.

Mike.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
While what you say is right for the chip's data threshold (the point where a 5v circuit flips from 1 to 0 or back), PSU voltages need to be closer to the spec.

Mike.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i have a thermaltake silent boost running at duno the rpms my sys monitor doesnt detect it... never has... only the rear fan is detected at 2000rpm, im guessing its around 1800 as its silent... are u suggesting i try a diff powersupply? this 1 is about a year old... system runs stable

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I don't recall the other threads here about your system (I recall you had them, not what was said), so I'll probably ask a couple duplicate questions...

Did you ever try opening up the side panel (assuming you have a tower system) and getting a house fan of some sort to blow on it and see if temps go down?

Maybe try a PSU tester or a multimeter to check the 5v wires - the PSU label should tell you which color is which. Try to confirm a problem or just a bad sensor reading before we spend money.

Mike.