And here we...go

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Ladies and gentleman, it's time for another run-of-the-mill thread you all love to read over and over again.

Basically I'm just wanting to know if all these components will go together without fail.

Price is an issue, but not so much that I have to skip corners on quality. Basically, I'm building my "dream" rig and am focused on speed and performance for gaming and multi-tasking, music recording, editing, etc..

I'm trying to stay under 1500. The only thing I'm cloudy on (not the only thing, but you get it) is what PSU is the BEST without going overkill.

And to the list:
Case: Cooler Master 690
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9650
HDD: WD Caviar 640 GB
GPU: Sapphire radeon 4870 1gb 256-bit GDDR5 PCIe bla bla bla:p
RAM: G-Skill PI Black 4 gb DDR2 800
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750 w
Case Fan: Scythe S-fles 120mm fan
Cooler: xigmatek s1283 120mm cooler

Anything else that I MUST have or that you recommend? Thermal paste? Longer cables? A nice prom dress? Whhhhaaaa....

A dvd player will be decided upon later. It'll probably be the LG Blu-ray player. I may add another 4870 down the road. Other than that I believe I'm golden.

Thanks be to Tomshardware and it's wonderful inhabitants:)

TheGuitarist

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Build looks solid. I would recommend MX-2 thermal paste, and look at the PC Power & Cooling 750w red PSU, its pretty cheap right now.

The 750w PSU will allow you to xfire later, so if you want that as an option, keep the 750w PSU, otherwise you could go with the Corsair 550vx.

If you wanted, you could build an i7 for under your budget, which would outperform that rig you have there. Check this out:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14386287

Either way you will have a killer computer.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks a million. Love your sig picture.

Although I should hex you for giving me another rig to think about.:p
I've been milling over this build for a month..::grumble grumble::

Seriously, though. Thanks.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
To entertain all ideas, help me out a bit.

I have a very simplistic understanding of computer parts. Let's say you take the 9650 vs the 9550. You're saying the 9550 is just as GOOD as the 9650 OC'ed? Or just as fast? I guess I don't understand why they release more expensive CPU's (same number of cores for this example) if one can just be overclocked to match or beat spead of a more expensive CPU.

they are the exact same bit of silicon , but intel "improves" it a bit by connecting things a little different and revving it a bit harder . Its easy to get the same result yourself and save the $$$$.

The i7 rig in the toms guide is a superior machine in almost all situations . The i7 is replacing the C2Q series

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

I see. So getting the latest and greatest isn't always the best. It's like having 2 v8 engines. One may have run a little better and be more expensive, but the cheaper one can be built (OC'ed) to run just as well/better than the more expensive stock unit.

The idea of having a computer last for 2+ years has me liking xthekids suggestion.

The idea of spending less has me really considering revising my build with a cheaper CPU and just OC'ing it.

sticking with a engine analogy they are the exact same V8 engine but one is being revved to 2830 rpm and the other is revving at 3000 rpm . Its no problem at all to make a few tiny changes that give a little more gas to the slower one . Probably they can both be run at 3600 rpm or more if you do it right .

But I still think you should look at the system builder marathon link I posted . Toms builds the best $1250 computer from time to time . The one I linked to has a later improved processor and a better gfx card than the system you are considering building .

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
That tom's rig is very similar to the one I put together, just a few things are different. I included an aftermarket cooler, which I highly recommend you get so you can get the most out of your cpu, tom's didn't. I also included 6gb of 1600mhz ram, they just used 3gb of 1066. The motherboard I used and the one they used are roughly the same as far as features and performance goes, just different brands. And the PSU I included allows for the addition on another video card later, but you could go cheaper there if you didn't want to and get the one Tom's selected. Their video card they selected is also better, but I like staying with single GPU cards to avoid driver and scaling issues. If you wanted a better video card then you could get the GTX 280 or 285 for $315 or $350, respectfully. I also included an OS.

When you buy your processor, get it from microcenter.com, they have the i7 for $230 right now. They also have the Antec 900 for $85, not sure how much that case interests you, but newegg usually sells it for $110.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

I'm assuming you are referring to the card I have in my build. It depends on the games you play, and the version of the 4870 you are looking at. Games that use Havok are going to be better on the 4870, the others will be better on the 260, by a little. The 1gb version of the 4870 is much better than the 512 version if you run your games with high AA. Generally speaking though, the GTX 260+/core216 is a little better than the 4870 by a small margin, the two cards trade off between games, depending on the engine the game uses but GTX 260 wins more often than the 4870. They are direct market competitors with each other and you can't go wrong with either.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks everyone. I think I'll be going with xthekids rig with a few changes.

I read from Proximon somewhere that going with the fastest ram isn't always the best. I didn't understand why, however.

In other words, I believe he said something along the lines of it's better to buy 800mhz ram then the 1600 for some reason.

Help?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
The antec has a little better ventilation design, but I like the CM 690 more because its wider and can fit a larger heatsink than the 900, plus I like the look of the 690 more, and its cheaper. But both are great cases, its mostly personal preference.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Sorry to revive a tired thread, but I will be going with my ORIGINAL build with a few slight revisions. I would appreciate any comments on the revisions.

I'm switching to the q9550 for price reasons. Unexpected Emergencies and all that jazz.
I also would like to switch to SLI. The EVGA boards seem really nice. The 780i's or the 790's look great.

What PSU should I get with these changes?

For the record. This IS the build I am staying with. Period.
Thanks for the other replies regardless.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I would not get the Nvidia chipsets, they are still a little flaky. Stick with the P45 chipset.

As xthekidx said, the PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W is only $79.99 after rebate.

The S1283 is a really good HS and it will fit in either case. Make sure you get the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket, you will be glad you did.

When applying thermal paste with the Xigmatek cooler, apply a thin layer across the CPU IHS (top) or across the whole base of the heatsink. The paste won't spread properly through contact because of the gaps between the heatpipes and the base.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
You aren't going to find a lot of support for SLI on LGA 775, those boards are very unstable. I would Highly recommend you go with a P45 board Like the Gigabyte P45 UD3P and just crossfire instead. But if you are really set on that, then the EVGA boards are the way to go.

Just stick with that same PSU I showed you.

TheGuitarist

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
YYYYEARGH.

Getting into computers has been the single most satisfying and agitating experience I've had in a while.

Ok. Back to the P45 chipset. Thanks gents.