And Phenom II hit's 6.5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
the accomplishment does have merit. i dont want to act like it means absolutely nothing but in fairness, the 8.2 Ghz Cedar Mill was scoffed at by the AMD faithful. it was for good reason of course because it doesn't mean anything in the real world desktop environment whether it be average joe or the enthusiast because the materials used are not practical and it isn't like it is a clock speed that can be maintained for 24/7 use. its a victory but no more than past victory's using LN2 or other exotic methods and should receive the same scrutiny and praise any of the past have.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I hope some of you really took a look at the story and I posted this just minutes after it came up on the wire.
There are a couple of really neat things about this story. The first really cool (sorry about the pun) one was that they managed to cold boot the PC when the CPU was only 3 degree's above absolute zero.
The second was the 3dMark05 score which hit 45,478 which is a new world record which means AMD has actually taken the #1 spot in at least one area.

I'm an AMD/ATI fan. It's like cheering for my football team and for the last few years we have been getting our butt's handed to us. It's nice to see our side get a touchdown in the second half but it still doesn't change the fact that the other side has a substantial lead and an A list crew of players. Now if we could only do something about the cheerleaders...

It simply sells microprocessors, not much to be gained in the reality world.

It's the reason I purchased a Cedar Mill Celly (as roofus noted) on the cheap with which to play - and it made a decent rig (still in use) at stock volts and 3.8GHz.

And in 18 months after the price really drops I should be able to afford a Phenom II 940 - LOL

I also recall reading a few years back, some proposals to regulate helium sales since there was concern that we will eventually run out of it. Helium is a non-recoverable or renewable resource since once it escapes into the atmosphere, it dissipates into space. Well I guess it is actually renewable, on a timescale of billions of years, as it is a byproduct of natural uranium decay.

However since you can still buy tanks of the stuff for filling party balloons, then I guess AMD using it to oc a CPU isn't bad, as long as party balloons and overclocked AMD processors have equal entertainment value. Although personally I find overclocked booth babes better than either :)

I used to like that guy, when he had all the info on i7, and straightened out a few rumors, and defined exactly how the chips would oc, but ever since P2 has come out, all hes done is knock it, and try to beat it, all the while, he cant even do as good as people in "worthless" forums, and hes the professional heheh

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41244/128/

well just found this..

is this another AMD fan over reacting just to get a reaction..

if this is then seriously these fanboys are going a bit too far now...

I dont care what chip it is, these over clocking techniques are not the run of the mill and will not affect any one at home in the real world where it really matters...

but if some ones got the money to do it then carry on.. next we will see the 10ghz barrier cracked..

You mean the nice amount of postse pre Phenom II release showing this 6GHz OC from AMD that also claimed it was able to hit 4GHz on air or higher and 5Ghz or higher on water cooling? Or aside from when it first came out the posts you made that said, and this is the funny part so listen up, its possible that they need time (the sites such as Anand and HardComp) to learn to be able to OC on air when it was shown that most sites had trouble getting past 3.6-3.8GHz?

Come on Jay. I am not trying to make it a bad thing. Yes it OCs much better than Phenom. Thats great. But denying what you have said and even the posts about it is just wrong.

As said. Extreme cooling is useless. You can normally extreme cool any chip and OC the living jebus out of it until even God himself gets amazed at the technology that man has created with his ever so expanding knowledge. But what it does on air or even stock is what matters most, and you of all people should also know and agree to this.

I never said it was. I just said the fact that pretty much most review sites have been able to OC it to 3,8GHz on stock voltage is what catches my eye.

Hell its why I went with the Q6600, free 600Mhz OC. But to be fair I could probably OC mine more on its stock volatge but don't really feel like it.

Yep. 1.275 VID and stable 3GHz OC @ 1.225. Been thinking of trying for higher with 1.275 but problem is I can't for the life of me find time to do anything but watch Scrubs and play L4D. Even my taxes are waiting.

Damn IRS.

I read the article. The problem with him is that he took something and turned it to the point where it seemed fanboyish. He started talking about the GPU, which although ATI is owned by AMD means nothing. Then he failed to look at the details of the tests and judges it without the entire set of facts. He mad a bad call on that article.

Either way I find it interesting how AMD stated they had the record yet didn't.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
now to sprinkle in some reality. obviously it hit the speed stated whether they disabled 3 cores to do it, whatever other tricks they use on ANY CPU drag race. The fact is even IF it can be done with another quad, this was the first. I dont think it did it as a quad per say but a quad CPU crippled up to not perish on its upward journey. look at CPU world records and see that it is pretty common.
the reality is most will struggle IF they ever succeed to hit 4 GHz with a retail P2 until more mature batches emerge. Intel has the same deal going on. there are 920's that hit 4+ on air with low voltage and others that are power hungry and just cant do it. The posts jaydee often points to as evidence of accomplishment at Xtreme I do believe are actual. I however do think these are being done with CPU's that you cant order from the egg or pick up at Fry's though (yet). one thing I do know from years of buying 90 plus percent AMD is they will run with this and bets are that 4+ on air from a retailer from a non-veteran overclocker are only a couple months out.
i doubt most of the wishy-washy enthusiasts have more overclocking prowess than Gary Key and he cant get a retail P2 stable beyond 3.9 http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=550 . i think he is taking a beating from the fanbois over there for not being able to mimic the success from Xtreme forums and quite unfairly. they have had theirs for a while as we know from all the info jdj was nice enough to share with us. remember...Gary used retail chips, not ES or CPU's of the demonstration trays.

btw...who in the hell would be disappointed in a quad running at 3.9

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
They do have the record.
Though the Intel I7 OC stated that he beat the score by a 1000 points it was found he was using unsanctioned Drivers and thus the score isn't valid.
Believe it or not there is certain rules to OCing with a panel of Judges to determine if a score is valid or not.
AMD/ATI used all sanctioned and approved devices with sanctioned Drivers.
The Intel guy who is ticked and claims to have the record used unsanctioned Drivers and thus his score was disqualified. He can always redo the test with sanctioned Drivers but he hasn't yet.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

People who watched AMD's little slideshow, and believed they can reach 4.0Ghz on air?

Ill ask everyone to go back before release, and actually look at AMDs slides, where it showed around 3.9 as the top on air, and then higher on water etc.
Thereve been over 4Ghz by real people who store bought their P2's, not alot, but some, and why wouldnt AMD want to show us their best? Who made the claims ALL of them would oc to 4GHZ or over? Who? Maybe DrWho said hed do over 7Ghz, and coming from an Intel worker, then thats FUD coming straight from Intel, and no, i7 hasnt done it, even with their admitted cherry picked cpu, so Intel fails and lies, and hypes and....all Im saying is, some people here ar stretching whats really been said and shown, like, 4 is possible, well.... 4 has been seen by a few people, whereas 7Ghz on i7 hasnt been done, even tho an Intel employee made such claims, so, going on that, should we all assume Intel is FUD? Ill say this,if itd happened, wed still be hearing about it, it would have gotten tons of recognition, and the tables would be turned, except, I for one would accept the results, instead of moan and groan about drivers, whwether its important etc etc. Just get over it already

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ive done my fair share of nitpicking on these P2's and im going to plead guilty of backpedaling here, but 3.9 and 4.0.....its the same damn thing.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well its not the same thing literally, its 100mhz. Its the same thing performance wise. I promise you wont miss or see the difference between 3900mhz and 4000mhz.

Its an ePeen thing.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
so what you are saying is everyone who is bitching about that little gap that AMD did not even say you can do on air is an e-peen stupid face? i agree. there goes half the forum unfortunately.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well, alot of people boasted that it can hit 4.0+ on air and what not blah blah, but with maddening voltage and questionable temps. I mean I can get my Q6600 to 4.0ghz on air, 4.2 if you really want me to, that dosent mean its safe or wise or stable.

Point is the majority of these P2's are not hitting 4ghz on air, and yet you have people scrambling to defend this with all sorts of wild reasons. Why?

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
probably cuz the people that cant get it to 4 suck at overclocking? i dont know i dont have a p2 in front of me to test myself. what i can say is most people i know run it at 3.9 so it meets AMD's requirements but not the intel fanboys so im confused.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I'm not an OCer as I have a limited amount I can spend on computer supplies but it is pretty cool to see how far they can push tech. These guys have real skill and when you see them bring in ton's of CPU's and Motherboards you know that some of them have had real sparks fly.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
yeah it was a tech demo of liquid helium on the processor, nothing more. a lot of people here got pissed when i posted this article earlier because they said it does not affect the average user but it was NOT INTENDED for the average user. it was intended for the berserk overclocker on meth.

hence my point and Spathotans as well. Its a great show of ability but in the end is useless for the end user.

What sucks is AMD released this knowing very well that it would hype the chip to something more than it truly is. I think they did it on purpose hoping people would run out and buy the chip right away without seeing initial performance test results.

Who know. Either way its hype thats not needed.