And Phenom II hit's 6.5

So, not everyone sees the previous posts. Its not like we havnt seen a few GO steppings posts in the past, or many such things. I think its good news, and good to see, just like all those GO steppings posts, dont ya think?

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
once again with the f'n 3dmark05. show us what id did on vantage or 3dmark06....something that might utilize the cores or did they have to disable 3 cores to do this?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
It makes me laugh to be honest...

No one in the real world will run on liquid nitrogen and liquid helium...

you can imagine it, a pc set up on a work top with no case around it saying to the misses...

just gonna pop the the shops love - me liquids are running low...

Enthusiastic in the lab one thing, but at home is another...

just touching this stuff will freeze your hands which will make your fingers snap off in a fraction of a second...

Or am i missing the point here

Liquid helium is even more ridiculous than liquid nitrogen - it's several times the cost, and far more difficult to work with, boiling at less than 5 degrees above absolute zero (liquid nitrogen is at a comparatively hot 77 kelvin). Either case is ridiculous though, IMO. I think that what should matter is the max overclock on something like a TRUE or similar, and the max on water. Anything else gets into the range of what almost nobody would ever bother with, and more bragging rights than true speed.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
The point is....its interesting.
Sure us humble peons will never afford that level of cooling, but its always nice to answer the question what if....

Biggest difference Jay is most of those were "How To" posts from people who got one and needed help with OCing.

This is yet another post showing off the awesome OCing ability of Phenom II with insane methods of high cost. And also still using the same cherry picked samples that were able to easily hit 4+GHz on air, which we have yet to see consitently from review sites or people.

Either way I have never been a fan of these OCing things. What I care about in OCing is how far can I take it on the stock voltage so it doesn't heat my room up and so far my eye is on the Core i7 920 since its hitting 3.8GHz stock voltage from 2.66GHz. But of course I will have to wait until end of 2009 or maybe mid 2010 since I am not in a place to afford a new PC now.

Show me the easily to hit 4Ghz on air, and then Ill believe what youre saying. I have only seen a few oceed to 4 or higher, and most have been just regular folks. AMDs own slide pointed to a 3.9 barrier. 4's a bonus, means you got a good chip.
As far as 6.+ on extreme cooling, Ive only seen a few, but theyre there. I dont get it. This is someone whos amazed by these numbers, just like the other/s whove posted this, so whats the difference? Im sure if they knew a older post existed, theyd have posted in that post about their amazement. It is amazing, a chip with nothing but a die shtink and a new process hitting almost 100% more than previous version oceed to max, no ones ever done that before, ever

There are plenty who are overclocking the core2 45nm up around 4Ghz.

I just wonder how many are using 65nm voltages to get there ... and how long their cpu's last before electromigration takes its toll.

Fair enough if you throw $100 at a cheap dually to get great performance.

Bummer if you fry your expensive 9 series quad tho.

Fine if it dies after at least 12 mths ... by then a replacement won't cost you a kidney.

You have got to do a bit of a cost / benefit / risk analysis ... or just not give a damn.

A couple of years ago I didn't give a damn.

Now the world is broke ...

You have got to be an environmentally sustainable overclocker.

That means turning on all of the power saving features ... and overclocking as far as you can go on stock voltage.

Oh the shame ... the humiliation.

What ... no water ???

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

you obviously don't pay attention. i am no fantard for either camp. getting all riled up for a corporation that wants nothing but my money doesn't resonate with me. point is..3dm5 tells squat. if they ran it that high will all cores enabled, color me impressed but other wise this means what? if you buy one and go to your liquid helium supply (yes we all have that) and run a bench that isn't a true measure for quad performance we will look like rock stars? i would be no more impressed if this was the precious i7. like MOST people here i am intrested in what i can actually get away with on a daily basis with a cpu. we already know that the daily overclock is impressive but this is....squat.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

jdj is right there. the i920 is no guarantee of 4GHz. there are some good batches but amazingly there are already batches that require higher voltage that guys haven't been able to hit 4GHz. its the nature of CPU's. that is why some people will buy a used CPU knowing the batch and potential over ordering from newegg or other e-tailers.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
LN2 performance means absolutely NOTHING. Its pointless. If it mattered so much and so much emphasis is put on it then I guess those Pentium 4 on Ln2 that hit 8+ghz is the best chip ever right? According to some of you here it is.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

It also dosent help that alot of these X58 boards seem to be hit or miss. The EVGA X58 was a guaranteed 5egg wonder on Newegg for like a month, now bad raitings and horror stories are popping up like zits on prom night. Also Gigabyte has already done about 4 revisions of their low-mid level X58, and MSI has done a revision of their $200 X58 which now supports SLi as well.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

This is the same way I am. My Q6600 has a 1.3V VID, but its running at 3.2ghz at 1.25v, cant go any lower.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

it seems to be the usual IMHO. early adopters get the privilege of finding all the bugs for everyone else. you also have to factor in that overclocking an i7 is not the same as it was with the Core2's. the new platform made veterans noobs all over again. while its obvious there have been alot of problems with the x58 boards, you can bet there were plenty returned with no issues but a lack of understanding and impatience by the end user. the P2 escapes that for a large part because they reside on an existing platform. it could fall victim to similar issues once the AM3 boards hit the shelves. new tech is new tech. nobody is immune when new platforms emerge.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
yep. got to give them credit. it would be the perfect excuse to introduce a new socket and sell an equal amount of their chip sets but left the easy upgrade path.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Im pretty nervous about overclocking which is another reason to the long list as to why im going to avoid i7/i5. Simple FSB changes is all I want to deal with. On a similar note, my Xeon X3370 just got here about an hour ago :D E0 stepping too.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
LN2 performance means absolutely NOTHING. Its pointless. If it mattered so much and so much emphasis is put on it then I guess those Pentium 4 on Ln2 that hit 8+ghz is the best chip ever right? According to some of you here it is.

This quote rite here took all the air out of their EXTREME OVERCLOCK sails, no need to say anymore.