[SOLVED] And rx 5500 xt/570/580/590 4 vs 8 gigs of vram?

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Hey, I'm sure this has been asked before in the past, but it's 2021, maybe things have changed. These are all amd cards with similar preformance so I kinda treat them all the same. I have a 570 and am getting a 5500 xt for one of my PCs. Are these cards powerful enough to be bottlenecked by 4 gigs of vram? Is there any senerio were 8 gigs would be worth it?

Solution
resolution and eye candy needs the vram.

low resolution and low settings won't need as much.

so any situation where you are running at above 1080p or with all the boxes checked in settings, is the scenario where more vram is better. given the choice 8gb is of course better than 4 gb. i'd not pay double for the extra but $20 or so more is well worth it

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

so any situation where you are running at above 1080p or with all the boxes checked in settings, is the scenario where more vram is better. given the choice 8gb is of course better than 4 gb. i'd not pay double for the extra but $20 or so more is well worth it

Solution

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014

So in certain senerio, the card could run out of vram before

At 1080p ultra it could make a difference? I have one monitor higher than 1080p, but won't use it with these cards. So these cards are powerful enough to saturate over 4 gigs of vram while still delivering playable fps?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's not the card but the settings you chose. ultra settings ask the card to do more work which sits in the vram waiting to be processed. the more that gets lined up, the more vram you need available.

for ultra settings i'd go with 8 gb for sure. it will help keep the card working as fast as it can.

For the 55500XT, unless you have a PCIe 4.0 system, get the 8GB version. The 4GB version has a problem where if the card runs out of VRAM, performance suffers dramatically because it's running off of an x8 PCIe configuration and apparently PCIe 3.0 x8 isn't enough to handle VRAM swapping.

Otherwise I'd argue for something like the RX 570, you'll run into GPU performance issues first if you bump up the resolution rather than running out of VRAM. The RX 580/590 may be in a similar boat depending on which game you're running.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
For the 55500XT, unless you have a PCIe 4.0 system, get the 8GB version. The 4GB version has a problem where if the card runs out of VRAM, performance suffers dramatically because it's running off of an x8 PCIe configuration and apparently PCIe 3.0 x8 isn't enough to handle VRAM swapping.

Otherwise I'd argue for something like the RX 570, you'll run into GPU performance issues first if you bump up the resolution rather than running out of VRAM. The RX 580/590 may be in a similar boat depending on which game you're running.
Yea, I've heard about the pcie thing. But the 5500xt 8 gig is 45 dollars more play the backorder might take longer because there is more demand, how often will the gpu vram run out before the gpu chip is fully utilized?

Yea, I've heard about the pcie thing. But the 5500xt 8 gig is 45 dollars more play the backorder might take longer because there is more demand, how often will the gpu vram run out before the gpu chip is fully utilized?
If we're talking about the point where filling up VRAM actually starts hurting performance, it depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to play something like Crysis Remaster on Ultra, then the GPU is going to be too slow for VRAM to be a problem. If you're doing something like Rocket League at like DSR/VSR 2x and MSAA 4x, then VRAM filling up might be a problem.