and then there was one....

G

I like comments such as .........

"One can only wonder what a pair of these 1.2GHz processors would beable to accomplish in this test..."

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1472&p=17" target="_new"> This </A> is were i read it....

all flames from Intel pushers welcomed!

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Encouraging news indeed. Now that AMD can go beyond the desktop market and get into notebook, server and workstation with competitive products, we will see the prices start to fall big time.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

G

I dont think anyone really doubts how well a dual atlhon system would/will perform.. wether it be as server or workstation. However, I dont think intel has to be worried that much just yet. I dont think many companies are ready to switch to AMD based servers. and frankly, I dont know if I'd be ready to run anything mission critical on a VIA board.

Also, AMD dual boards are rumoured to cost something like $800.. "Server" Palomino's are also likely to be more expensive than what we are used to from AMD, making the price difference between a dual Xeon and dual Palomino perhaps a moot point.

There are certainly niche markets where a dual palomino will make its inroads (3DS Max users are going to LOVE this one), but I dont see it threatening intel in the server market just yet.. give it a year or two.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

G

no VIA yet, try TYRAN???, and with news of ClawhammeR having a north-bridge built-in.........giddy up big boy, one fast ride coming our way soon.

G

"no VIA yet, try TYRAN???, "

Well.. as always with a new platform, the first (and usually best) chipsets come from AMD until VIA/SIS/ALI ready theirs for mass production. Boards with AMD chipsets are hard to find.; AMD simply cant/wont/doesnt produce enough of them.

"and with news of ClawhammeR having a north-bridge built-in"

Where did you hear that ? Thats new to me...

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

G

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/23050101.htm" target="_new">you want links? I got em!</A>
is it still rumor???
i dont mind spreading the news

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a slight flaw to your logic. First of, The demand for mp chipsets will be no where near as high as for the sp chipsets ie. Amd will not need to produce nearly as many to meet demand. Second, With Mp chipsets, price is no longer as much a factor as is performance, someone wanting to get a good server will not care to have to spend a little extra. Third, I keep hearing about the high cost of the Tyan motherboard, but what everyone fails to take into consideration is all the hardware that thing comes with.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ncogneto on 05/25/01 06:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice link, it would appear that anad has a amd MP unit they are testing as we speak.............Is it just me or are they trying to tell us something by the comment you quoted without violating AMD's disclosure agreement? ithink alot of Intel User's are going to be hiding come June 4.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

nice thoughts as to smp chipset pricing, but i read somewere that AMDs intentions are to also have a 'value' dual DURON board!
sorry, no links this time.

maybe AMD thinks the next logical step for the 'wintel' platform is going the multichip route - Windows XP seems very suited.