Android Device Manager Allows You to Manage Lost Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Because newer devices already have the functionality built-in!

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Um.. I have been able to track my tablet since I bought it a year ago. This feature already existed as an extension of Avast! Mobile for rooted devices.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Yes, but this is now a built-in capability to Android without requiring root. That was my issue with all of the "track my phone" apps that supported remote lock and wipe; they all required root. Requiring root was understandable, but in my case I couldn't use my phone with root because I also use it for work, and my work requires all devices to be un-rooted (also for obvious reasons).

So what? All companies constantly look to one another for ways they can implement new features (or features existing in other companies) to have an edge. Do you honestly think a company would say, "oh, well, [so-and-so] has had this great feature forever, so WE can't implement it because we'll look like we're copying them!" Get real. Not only that, but Google was getting a lot of social pressure to better-support device security for remote device track/lock/wipe in the case of theft. Personally, I'm glad to have this option officially supported by Android, I couldn't care less if it was a 1:1 copy, I'm thankful to have this capability when I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.