[SOLVED] Android laptop acting unstable

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Right then, I have an old laptop. An Acer One 722 to be exact. I never use the bloody thing. Sat in a box most of it's life. I decided to give it a new lease on life. Formatted the HDD and installed the newest (May 2020) version of Android. Although Windows 10 (64bit) was on before, the 32bit version of Andoid would do. The 64bit was a non-starter.

The laptop boots fine, but after a short period it reboots. This didn't occur with Windows. Aye, would make sense to simply reinstall Windows, but would rather not. I would like to use this wee laptop for streaming on the telly.

The laptop has a 1.0Ghz CPU and a mere 2GB DDR3 Ram. Seems to my mind that the CPU is too weak, perhaps. Could it be the memory? The bloody thing is slow and upgrading the RAM is doable. 4GB is only about 20 Euros. Upgrading the CPU is a non-starter. The CPU is built into the mainboard. There is a mainboard with a 1.33Ghz CPU, but that is only slightly more. Very slight in deed.

What do you experts think on this? More like the CPU is too weak? Should I increase the RAM to resolve this? Or, should I increase the RAM and reinstall Windows?

Cheers!

Processor / Chipset
CPU: AMD C-50 1 GHz
Number of Cores: Dual-Core
Cache
: L2 - 1 MB
Chipset Type: AMD A50M

Cache Memory
Type: L2 cache
Installed Size: 1 MB
RAM
Configuration Features: 1 x 2 GB
Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Installed Size: 2 GB
Max Supported Size: 4 GB

Solution
Your CPU is not the most standard one, so it could be that this Android build (remember, there's no "standard" Android for PCs) does not work well with that CPU. You can try some slimmed-down Linux distro, but whatever you put there will be slow.

I would not spend a single Euro on this old machine.
Your CPU is not the most standard one, so it could be that this Android build (remember, there's no "standard" Android for PCs) does not work well with that CPU. You can try some slimmed-down Linux distro, but whatever you put there will be slow.

Reactions: hondoman
Solution

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014

Probably spot on. I uninstalled Android and re-installed Windows. No what I wanted, but the wee laptop is stable again. Cheers!

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
RAM looks good enough but yes, the CPU could have been better. Perhaps Android laptops of the current period need a lot of work and this is why Windows or Mac are so successful. You cannot change the processor, though, you can use the laptop for some light jobs.

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
RAM looks good enough but yes, the CPU could have been better. Perhaps Android laptops of the current period need a lot of work and this is why Windows or Mac are so successful. You cannot change the processor, though, you can use the laptop for some light jobs.

Considering the age, 1Ghz was proper. 10+ years on and we see it as a wee weak one. Regardless....

I took Windows off again and installed Linux Mint. This gives me the opportunity to learn Linux at an easy pace. and it suits this old CPU.