[SOLVED] Android smartphone - can I use home interenet to update phone.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I am thinking about getting a smartphone, but don't want an expensive phone package.

I am not likely to use the phone for much browsing, or much internet usage of any kind. Like maybe the odd google maps.

Therefor I mean to buy a phone package that is budget based on low internet data included. What it means is that I will sometimes need to update the OS, or update an internet security package. I am hoping that I can make updates manual instead of automatic, so I can control when updates are made. Then I am hoping to use my home broadband to facilitate doing the updates with.

Is it possible then to attach a smartphone via USB-C cable, to use home broadband to update with? (Or even via home wifi if not?)

Solution
I am thinking about getting a smartphone, but don't want an expensive phone package.

I am not likely to use the phone for much browsing, or much internet usage of any kind. Like maybe the odd google maps.

Therefor I mean to buy a phone package that is budget based on low internet data included. What it means is that I will sometimes need to update the OS, or update an internet security package. I am hoping that I can make updates manual instead of automatic, so I can control when updates are made. Then I am hoping to use my home broadband to facilitate doing the updates with.

Is it possible then to attach a smartphone via USB-C cable, to use home broadband to update with? (Or even via home wifi if not?)
Yes. You can set...

kanewolf

Titan

Yes. You can set Google updates to manual. You can set OS updates to only work with WIFI.

Solution

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hi, thank you.

I did have other questions if you could tell me please.

1. I intend to run a security software on the Android phone I hope to buy. Is it possible to set other software like internet security to work only with wifi. Meaning so my phone package doesn't need to run the regular security updates.

I suppose the overall question is, can we set all data to only work with home broadband. Unless I needed google maps when out and about. Then I would briefly set phone to use the phone package internet data.

2. As you said how we can use out home broadband via wifi. Can we please use USB connection to a PC instead of wifi, for home broadband to do phone updates too.