Android tablet wifi authentication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gefraenk

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Hello, every wireless device works except my new tablet from Acer running Android 4.1.1. My SID contains number of spaces. I am using WPA2 with password containing spaces, even my old Blackberry works... I get Authenticating ... and never comes back...

gefraenk

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Yes, I try to connect to the network router.

I solved this issue by broadcasting the SSID, which I don't like to do, because of a number of intrusions attempts, in the past....

Hiding the SSID, in addition to being a violation of the 802.11 RFC is not an effective security measure. The SSID is actually broadcast in 4 places during a connection attempt (none of which can be stopped) and is easily discovered by sniffing traffic. You'll also encounter connection problems with any equipment that strictly follows the RFC. Using an advanced encryption (WPA2-Personal or Enterprise) is far more effective at stopping any unauthorized entries.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/

bluk

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hello all, I have the same authentication problem, worse, I m not sure what SID /SSID stands for, nor how the earlier other writer here solved his problem, legally or less than legally.
I have entered my network password on the MID ANDROID tablet, but the message I receive is Authenticating...,then Sved, secured with WPA, befor it switches back to Authenticating... in an endless loop until it goes to sleep. No othe device in the house / yard has had this problem and I am abslutely CERTAIN that I entered the right password.
WHAT TO DO NEXT?

gefraenk

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
SSID stands for service set id which is your unique network name.

In your router menu settings, can be found under wireless settings.
By default, if you do not set your own name, the router gives it a long cryptic generated name.

If you don't know how to find your SSID name, download e.g. Wifi Location Tracking software from sourceforge.net and install it on your wifi enabled laptop.

G

I am having the same issue

kjdillon

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I am having the same issue

I am having the same problem. My PC works on the WiFi, but my two Android devices don't. They get the same Authenticating run-around. Yet they work on WiFi in other locations. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

I cant put my hands on one of those at the moment but I could later if necessary. Anyway, what you're looking for in Wireless settings is where it names itself - BTHomeHub 11-VV, BTHub3-1ZXZ or whatever. You can overwrite that and call it something else if you wish but the setting to display it to the outside world is there somewhere.

Hoots Fandango

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I had this problem then I examined the code on the back of the router, but this time with a magnifying glass. I had keyed in the number 5 when it should have been a capital S. No authentication problem now.

Status
Not open for further replies.